Boris No-helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

What if the person 10 years younger has emphysema?

Or is ten?

Ben Lovejoy said:
A cycle helmet debate ... I think I'll just sit quietly in the corner and watch. :-)

Ben

We are exempt!

Trikes are exempt from motorcycle helmets - I assume the case will be the same for cycle helmets!

Mr Pig

I'm so used to my helmet now that it dosn't bother me at all. It's like wearing a seatbelt in a car, it dosn't even register.

Except when a fly gets stuck in it! ;0)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Plax said:
I found my non helmet wearing quite liberating today too, particularly on the way home when it's all up hill.

I think sometimes that the major risk of head injury from not wearing mine comes from the missus :wacko:

Not wearing one just feels weird to me, as I always have...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mr Pig said:
Except when a fly gets stuck in it! ;0)

Wasps are worse.

Much worse :/

I managed to get a fly in my ear at about 23mph on last night's ride, which was not an experience I'm anxious to repeat :wacko:

jonesy

Guru
stephenb said:
did anyone else see something in one of the weekend papers about being 20 times more likely to be killed cycling than walking per mile (kilometer??) travelled? Anyone know if it's true? Or if it's a valid comparison?:biggrin:

It isn't a helpful measure of risk for such a comparison. The average casualty per bn km for a car driver is based on a total mileage that includes long distance trips on motorways and dual carriageways, where the risk per km is very low and where cyclists aren't usually found. In other words, the risk cyclists face when making (mostly) short trips on (mostly) local roads is being compared with the risk drivers face when making much longer journeys somewhere else. Not very useful when trying to assess the relative risks of making a 2 mile trip across town by each mode.

Actually if you look at the basic figures for how many head injuries occur - cyclists do well, - more of the patients will be pedestrians, car drivers, car passengers, motorcyclists or pillion passengers.

However the reason that risk is popular is that it allows this unfortunate fact to be ignored by the pro-compulsion lobby.

If pedestrian helmets were to be made compulsory, there would be a greter number prevented than if cycle helmets were made compulsory

Top Bottom