Bottom Bracket Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pda

Über Member
Hi

I've got a Scott Sub 30, bought it from Evan last August. I have only recently been using it heavily to ride to work, its done around 300miles max since new. The bottom brack is now creaking whenever pressure is applied to it.

I spoke with Evans and they said it needs a new BB but its not a warranty job but wear and tear. Is this really true? I would have thought it would last longer.

Cheers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
300 miles and you need a new bottom bracket? Wear and tear? That's Bollocks. How would they know that without seeing it? (Assuming you spoke to them on the phone that is) Probrably just needs tightening and/or a clean. Easy to do yourself.

Tynan

Veteran
300 miles?

oh my sides

not even on the 10 months

put it to them firmly that that BB was 'not of merchandisable quality', 'fit for purpose'

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Agreed with the last post. Creaks can come from anywhere. Even if from the BB, it is not likely to be cream crackered after such little use. You could try removing it, greasing the outside shell (if the frame is not carbon) and replacing. If the frame is carbon, I would suggest a turn or two of ptfe tape around the BB casing.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ianrauk said:
300 miles and you need a new bottom bracket? Wear and tear? That's Bollocks. How would they know that without seeing it? (Assuming you spoke to them on the phone that is) Probrably just needs tightening and/or a clean. Easy to do yourself.

I would agree with that

OP
OP
P

pda

Über Member
the guy listened to me riding it outside the shop and said it's the bb.

not sure about tighening it as it seems pretty tight (no play at all)

its booked in for repair on thurday but i don't want them to repair it as they'll charge me.

i'll try and ring the manager tomorrow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
seeming pretty tight doesn't mean that it is.
Your bike uses a standard Shimano cartridge taperered bottom bracket. And they are usually very reliable. They should last at least 3000 miles easy. If it does need replacing then it's a wrong un and should be replaced under warranty. Don't let them tell you otherwise & try to fob you off.

pda said:
the guy listened to me riding it outside the shop and said it's the bb.

not sure about tighening it as it seems pretty tight (no play at all)

its booked in for repair on thurday but i don't want them to repair it as they'll charge me.

i'll try and ring the manager tomorrow.

Radius

SHREDDER
Yep, definitely warranty job. If it's installed properly, it's pretty hard to 'knacker' a BB after 300 miles with normal riding...

john59

Guru
That can’t be right, 300 miles and it needs replacing. I’ve got a bottom bracket on one of my bikes which have done nearly 18000 miles. Definitely a warranty job.

John

jimboalee

ianrauk said:
seeming pretty tight doesn't mean that it is.
Your bike uses a standard Shimano cartridge taperered bottom bracket. And they are usually very reliable. They should last at least 30000 miles easy. If it does need replacing then it's a wrong un and should be replaced under warranty. Don't let them tell you otherwise & try to fob you off.

Add a zero there.

It's warranty. Don't pay a penny.

jpembroke

There is still the possibility that it's the cranks/pedals/seatpin/saddle that is creaking. Does it still creak when pedalling out of the saddle? If it doesn't then it's probably the saddle. Also put the bike in a high gear and pedal with one foot; then try the other foot. That'll tell you if it's a creaking pedal. That can be cured by removing the pedal, cleaning and greasing the spindle and crank hole then refitting. Definitely worth a look. I've had really irritating creaks on bikes that I felt sure were coming from the BB but weren't. Pedals and saddles are now the first things I check.

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
Add a zero there.
30,000 miles? You mongeese really don't weigh anything, do you!

I reckon anything beyond 10,000 miles is fine, particularly since I'm not one of those CTC Life Members who store their bikes upside down if they've been out in the wet.

OP
OP
P

pda

Über Member
Rang the manager yesterday and took it done there in the evening. He tightened the crank and the noise seems to have gone now. Will take it out for a long ride on Saturday morning to make sure its definitely gone.

Thanks for the advice guys

Top Bottom