1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Chappy, 2 Jul 2008.

1. Chappy

Chappy Über Member

Morning all

Just a quick question regarding BB's I am just about to replace my old one for a sealed shiny new one as well as some new crank bolts and I was wondering do I need to replace the crank arms as well or can I get away with it.

Cheers

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

As long as there's not been any play at the square joint between the crank arm and the BB then you're fine. If there has been play then check the hole in the crank to see whether it's been enlarged at all.

3. girofan

girofan New Member

I'm with Mister Paul, don't spend unless you're compelled. If the cranks were installed correctly and have been re-tightened periodically there should'nt be a problem.

4. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

if numbers of folk agreeing helps, i'm with the other two also.

5. OP
    OP
    Chappy

Chappy Über Member

Cheers guys

I dont the cranks need replaceing but i'm going to get some new bolts to be on the safe side.

:thumbsup::biggrin:

6. The BB will come with new bolts. Not that you need them, there's unlikely to be anything wrong with the old ones. I mean, go ahead and use them but with all due respect, 'on the safe side' isn't a valid reason.

7. OP
    OP
    Chappy

Chappy Über Member

I didn't realise that it came with new bolts.

You learn something new every day.

8. Polar bears have black skin.