Brake Blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

Is there a difference between manufacturers braking setups?

I need to replace the original blocks on my Caliper Brakes (Tektro I believe), can I stick Ultegra or whatever blocks on, or are they all specially shaped to their own system?

Also, are there any pros/cons to moving to cartridges other than being cheaper in the long run?

jimboalee

Cartridge blocks??

Uscrew the little hex screw and slide the block out of the box, WHILE THE BOX IS STILL ON THE STIRUP ARM.

Take the cartridge insert to the LBS.

Replace cartridge inserts with the boxes ON THE BIKE so when the new cartridge inserts go in, you will not have to realign the boxes on the brake stirup arms.

jimboalee

GrahamG said:
Avoid the Shimano Ultegra/Dura-ace cartridge refills like the plague - work great in the dry but are useless when wet.

And the cheapo 'pattern part' items have a variation of hardness so don't wear evenly.
Even so, go for these, although you will be throwing 3 half worn ones away because one of them was soft.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm a koolstop salmon convert. On that note i recently got some 70's/80's campag record brakes (for an old Bates road/path) complete with untouched Scott Mathauser pads - no need to change those!

jpembroke

Koolstop salmon for me too. Been using them for 5 or 6 years now and have no reason to change.

Top Bottom