Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthpaul

I got a Giant Defy 2 (2012) on cycle to work scheme end of November and the rear brakes almost need replacing already. The ones that come on the bike I didnt find that good, especially in the wet so I was wondering if anyone could recommend something to replace them with as this is my first road bike and I have no experience with what is good!

Bike is used to commute 12 miles a day with occasional weekend rides.

I would suggest replacing with Kool Stop salmon brake pads.

Regards
Andrew

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Done a quick search for those and I found cartridge inserts but currently I have Tektro TK-R340 Giant Specific pads. Would it be worth me buying a shoe to fit a cartridge into? (sorry for dumb questions i am used to my disc brakes on my MTB)

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Inserts are cheaper than (comparable) "all-in-one" pads, so after the initial outlay you'll be saving money.

How long they take to pay for themselves, obviously depends on how much riding you do.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I also have a Defy and I replaced the stock pads with Koolstops. Yes, you need a new cartridge, but once you've paid for it, it works out cheaper.

If used daily, road bike pads need replacing several times a year so you'll get your money back quickly

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

OK thanks I shall get those Dura Ace blocks and a set of Kool Stop inserts :smile: Will do the same on the front when they wear out to.

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Ah nice! I shall get those instead :biggrin:

Top Bottom