Brake Hoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick G

the rubber hoods on my Shimano 600 brake levers have long since perished and I'd like to replace them. Does anyone know if there is some kind of aftermarket, or is there a universal hood, for this type of lever?

Suggestions for alternative would be gratefully received.

Thanks

RedBike

I can't remember seeing any genuine Shimano hoods advertised anywhere (only campag). Mind you've i've never looked for them.
It is worth asking the bike shop if they can order some in.

These might also be of intrest. But i'm not too sure they'll fit.
http://www.grabthehudz.com/products.html

OP
OP
Nick G

Nick G

Thanks Redbike

I've looked at their site - the hoods look nice and I'll email them to see if they have anything to suit the 600's. I suspect they are going to be pretty expensive so the solution may be to buy new levers.

kyuss

Veteran
Those Hudz aren't too expensive, they can be had from probikekit for about £16 but you'll be very lucky if they have them for 600's.

The only non STI replacements hoods I've seen are geniune shimano numbers and can be had from SJS. Not sure if they fit 600 levers though.

OP
OP
Nick G

Nick G

Tried SJS but they don't have anything for the 600. I think they are earlier than the 600/ ultegra range. About 1979 was when the bike was built. It originally had a 5 speed suntour freewheel and not index geared.

GrahamG

Guru

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If 79, I assume non aero - ie cable out of the top.....time to upgrade to R600 levers....

My original 600's were non-aero and that orange rubber colour....they wore out fast..

OP
OP
Nick G

Nick G

Yup, cable out of the top. Levers are fine so no need to change except for the cosmetic reasons and this is a bike run on a budget - I've just spent a tenner on new bar tape!

The old rubber hoods perished very quickly so I pulled them off.

Think I'll leave it until the brakes need changing unless I find some by accident. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom