W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Are the brakes rim brakes?
If the brake blocks have worn down a lot, replacing the brake blocks will help.

But basically the cable is too long and needs shortening either with the barrel adjusters or by the Allen clamp bolt. If the latter, screw the adjusters in before shortening the cable.

If disc brakes, principal is probably the same, but somebody else can advise specifics.

Hope you suss it, a working brake is fairly important!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It depends on the brake system but normally there is a barrel adjuster on the brake caliper to adjust the travel, although it could be you need to replace the brake pads .
If the brake pads are good and the adjuster is at its limit you may need to release the cable from the brake caliper and reduce the amount of cable the brake needs to pull .

cyberknight

1588369736388.png

si_c

Guru
For v brakes my preferred method is to screw the barrel adjuster in completely and then pull the cable through at the wheel end, this allows you the adjustment for when the pads wear later.

It's an easy process, just loosen the allen bolt and pull the cable through a bit, then tighten, it's doable one handed but it might be worth getting a helper if you're unsure.

Oldfentiger

Veteran

I use one of these as an extra hand.

But basically the cable is too long and needs shortening either with the barrel adjusters or by the Allen clamp bolt. If the latter, screw the adjusters in before shortening the cable.
I prefer to screw the barmounted adjusters in and then back a bit. It is possible, despite best efforts, to overdo things and have the pads slightly catching the rims. If they do, you can then wind the pads back out a smidge without having to fiddle with the cable clamp at the brake, best minimised as it degrades the cable.

cyberknight

Yebbbut that arrow is pointing at the gear cable adjuster. :rolleyes:

Which order are the 'thick/thin convex spacers' on the pads, sometimes changing those around brings the pad closer to the rim (that's why they're different thicknesses)
I dont think it is the arrow is pointing at the brake adjuster the gear one is underneath.

Gunk

Guru
For v brakes my preferred method is to screw the barrel adjuster in completely and then pull the cable through at the wheel end, this allows you the adjustment for when the pads wear later.

It's an easy process, just loosen the allen bolt and pull the cable through a bit, then tighten, it's doable one handed but it might be worth getting a helper if you're unsure.

^^^ this

Top Bottom