1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake pads / holders

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by goo_mason, 26 Jun 2008.

1. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Having fixed my brakes after the advice given on my other dual-pull thread, I now need to get ordering some new brake pads.

Since they're highly rated, I intend going for Koolstop Salmon for the front and Black for the rear. Trouble is, I don't know whether I need to get the the metal blocks and pads - nor do I know what will fit the unbranded dual-pull caliper brakes on the SCR2.

From a forum search, it looks like I need to buy some of these blocks to replace my current ones (which have a screw to hold the pad in) and then the Koolstop pads to fit into them.

Am I right ?

Cheers all.

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Goo, the brakes on your SCR should be made by Tektro, and they'll take Shimano Dura type Koolstop pads of the type linked to - you don't need to buy new pad holders.

I use salmon on the front, and the combination (half salmon, half black) on my rear brakes. I got them here. (Not a huge saving on Wiggle, but they do sell the combination pad if you fancy that instead of the all black pad).

3. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Thanks a lot for the info, John.

I'll get them from Wiggle, since I get them cheaper as a Gold member !

4. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

No problem. The Koolstops are way better than the generic pads that come on it (are you surprised..? ;) ) - they seem to not let cack build up on the pad as easily, as well as providing better stopping.