Brave, or selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
This chap...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56973242

...sadly lost his life in the attempt.

There is little doubt hes earned his in Valhalla for trying, but was it really brave, or was it simply foolhardy?

As it was professional rescuers and rescuers from volunteer services had to then rescue their lives locating and recovering two bodies instead of one.

Does his bravery outweigh the risk his actions then posed for the rescuers? What do think think?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Unthinkingly brave, arguably foolhardy, but not selfish. Those that located and pulled the bodies from the water would have been in boats and not exposed to the same level of risk. Recovering corpses from the Thames is sadly a weekly activity for the river police and inshore RNLI.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not at all selfish. Maybe foolish.
Would I do it too? Probably not now but if I was 20 I might have done. The Thames is a big powerful river and very cold at the moment.
I know one of the fire crew who spent all night walking the bank looking for him with heat seeking cameras.
The biggest question that needs an answer is how the woman ended up in the water, as you can’t just fall in by mistake. She now has this on her conscience.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
From his name he’s Nigerian. If he was raised there and in a town that wasn’t on the coast he probably couldn’t swim which makes it even more heroic. As pointed out he couldn’t have known how dangerous the Thames can be. I salute you sir, someone who tried to save another’s life with no thought for his own.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I am sure we have all done rash things in a moment, with no particular thought as to the outcome for our own safety, I have.

Overall, a very brave act from a brave young man, he deserves recognition.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When I saw the news last night, I wondered what would I do and if he was brave or foolish, rather than selfish? - Although I get the point that the term selfish may be used when putting others' lives at risk.
When teaching snorkelers rescue skills, we always emphasise, getting in water to rescue someone is a last resort. And as a general principle, don't get in water unless you know you can out. But having been in occasional sticky situations both on and under the ocean, it is extremely hard not to try to do what you can, when a person's life is in danger. And I know a couple of friends have found the same. One brought to the surface the body of his buddy from 60m and another risked his life to bring to the surface a body of a stranger from 40m.

OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Unthinkingly brave, arguably foolhardy, but not selfish. Those that located and pulled the bodies from the water would have been in boats and not exposed to the same level of risk. Recovering corpses from the Thames is sadly a weekly activity for the river police and inshore RNLI.
I'm trained in cadaver recovery, and it is not without significant risk, particularly on a river like the Thames. It may be a regular occurrence, but it is not an activity to be taken lightly in terms of the risk to the life, limb and indeed mental wellbeing of the operators.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I just don't think at that time you would think you were jumping in to die. I believe he went in to save someone without giving any thought to the consequences and believed he could achieve this. Sadly it wasn't to be. I can't imagine the pain that his family is suffering but a small comfort perhaps that he did so attempting to save someones life.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I'm trained in cadaver recovery, and it is not without significant risk, particularly on a river like the Thames. It may be a regular occurrence, but it is not an activity to be taken lightly in terms of the risk to the life, limb and indeed mental wellbeing of the operators.
I bow to your direct experience.

Can we agree that such considerations would not be expected to weigh heavily in the decision making process of a brave young man attempting to rescue a drowning person?

T4tomo

Guru
Agree, the pair of them that made that decision to jump in to save the lady we most certainly brave and definitely not selfish.

Reactions: C R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom