Breaking in a Brooks saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
How often did you proof it at first?

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
When I first got it, I applied two good coats of Proofide which a paintbrush on the underside and wiped a thin layer on the top. A week or so later I repeated the process, but left a sixty watt bulb about six inches from the underside to help liquify the dressing and let it soak in for about thirty minutes. That is all I have done apart from ride it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
being the lazy, forgetful, person I am I only got round to using some proofide yesterday and that was only as I don't want the saddle not to last. I've done about 1000 miles on it now, mainly in 20 mile hops, but one ride of 80ish, and it's been comfy from day one. I haven't done anything to it whatsoever.

Having stripped down the Giant and got it all light(by my standards) for weekend rides, it was great for the Brighton run. But sit bones suffered after about 70 miles. Regardless of the weight I think this bike's heading for a Brooks as well.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have recently bought one for the tourer. To be honest it was as much for the look as I've got matching honey bar tape - the original saddle was ok but not ideal.
I've only proofed it once so far. The problem I foresee is that as I only ride the tourer for tours(!) it won't get regular enough use to wear in to my backside's shape. Still, that's my problem and 2 weeks in Slovenia later this month will be the acid test.

jags

Guru
richp im in the same boat or bike as you ,im mostly on my road bike.
i found the brooks to be fantastic from the day i bought it ,
the only time i had problems was when it got soaked through ,went as hard as a rock. but after i let it dry i gave it a good dose of proofhide job done back to new ,great saddle but i'll be taking a plastic bag with me from now on..

Loving the Brooks B17 saddle on my tour, sooo much comfier for long days than gel ones I've used in the past

andym

Über Member
Bigtwin said:
You are blessed. Mine's done at least that, and it's still as hard a iron.

If you have a B17 it might be worth considering a Swallow (or Swift?) according to Brooks the Swallow is their most elastic saddle (which so far as I can see means there is the teeniest amount of spring in it) while the B17 and the Team Pro are the stiffest.

I had a love-hate relationship with my B17, which turned into one of grudging respect once I got back onto a plastic saddle. And then someone nicked it. But then I got a Swallow and I've found it pretty comfortable from Day One.

It was a bit disconcerting when I left it briefly in the lightest and briefest of rain showers and came back to find the surface had gone a bit like orange peel (seems to be recovering now though). I know that Brooks say don't put anything on it other than Proofride but I wonder whether anyone has successfully used dubbin to improve the water resistance.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Gerry Attrick said:
When I first got it, I applied two good coats of Proofide which a paintbrush on the underside and wiped a thin layer on the top. A week or so later I repeated the process, but left a sixty watt bulb about six inches from the underside to help liquify the dressing and let it soak in for about thirty minutes. That is all I have done apart from ride it.

Good procedure. Mine is now 18 month old and the most comfy leather saddle I own. Better than my 32 y/o Pro.

Mind you, I found it comfy on the first ride. I treated it the same way as Gerry and continue to apply a coat of Proofide every few months.

Avoid using any of the other extreme "leather softeners." The only other treatment I use is a good leather soap (available at equine tack shop) on rare occasion.

ASC1951

Guru
andym said:
I wonder whether anyone has successfully used dubbin to improve the water resistance.
I wouldn't ever use dubbin - it will make the leather too soft.

What's the problem with using Proofide? My tin that came with the saddle will last at least a decade.

If you want to put something on a Brooks saddle in the rain, try a plastic bag; or your bum. :smile:

andym

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
What's the problem with using Proofide? My tin that came with the saddle will last at least a decade.

How about the fact that it seems to be completely ineffective at keeping water out?

If you want to put something on a Brooks saddle in the rain, try a plastic bag; or your bum. :laugh:

I was kind of hoping that there might be a better alternative. Having to carry a plastic bag to protect a saddle seems to be a fairly major minus to me. If Selle Anatomica can produce a waterproof leather saddle why can't Brooks?

Bigtwin

Pittards do a waterproofer replenishment paste for their WR range of waterproof boot leather (they produce the leather but don't make boots). I put some of that on mine, which seems to have helped the proofing - it doesn't go mouldy overnight when damp now - without changing the characteristics of the leather.

Got it from Field and Trek IIRC.

Top Bottom