Breathable Jacket? Whats the best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Fellow cyclists,

What is the most breathable waterproof/windproof jacket on the market??

Put my Altura jacket on this morning, 10 mins later it was off and in the rucksack. As soon as I start cycling I seem to turn into some sort of heat generator, if only I could harness this, I would never need batteries for lights, anyway I digress.

I have seen the eVent jackets for 100.00 is it worth paying extra for a Gore jacket?

Just want something light to keep out the elements, not worried about it being warm.

Thanks in advance

Goretex is the only thing I have found that remains waterproof over long periods of rain, and also the most breathable, there are different types of goretex for different levels of activity to.

I've got a Montane Fetherlite smock. I don't get too sweaty under there and I am a Sweat Monster. Course, maybe I'm too lazy to build up a sweat.

I don't know how good it would be for prolonged periods of wetness but I was nice and dry in the torrential p'ing down windy conditions of last night after 30 minutes getting home.

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

I would happy scarifice waterproof quality for breathability and windproof qualities. Once your wet your wet, but a jacket that is very breathable, but stops you getting a chill when you have to stop is what I am looking for

robz400

I have a £170+ very lightweight goretex hiking jacket that I was using to cycle, but since its all black I've also bought a discounted SPEG hi viz cycling jacket for £10 of ebay

Which ever jacket I use I get to work wet with sweat. With the goretex i'm damp but with the SPEG im soaked and could nearly squeeze sweat out my jersey sleaves.

I didn't feel that goretex was at all breathable until i started using the cheap one, but now can definatly see the difference.

I wear the cheap one to commute because of the hi viz but if im out at the weekend for a long run i'd take the goretex. :ohmy:

PrettyboyTim

When it's cold, unless there's enough rain to get seriously wet I prefer to just wear a jumper. It'll keep you warm, but unlike the wind/water-proof jackets it'll also let some air in and out so you don't get too sweaty. Obviously the thickness of the jumper depends on the temperature, and I do tend to have my waterproof in my pannier in case the heavens suddenly open, but for commute-length rides I think waterproofs are not worth it for light rain.

yello

If I could get an eVent jacket at £100 (and didn't have a couple of jackets already!) then I would give it a go. From the reviews/reports I've read it's good stuff - better breathability than goretex at any rate. Not that that's saying much! Goretex is not what I'd call breathable; not sufficiently for cycling anyway.

Have you got a link? I'm might be tempted!

dondare

Über Member
Altura do have the tag "boil in the bag".
I've just bought a new Gortex jacket that I didn't really need and can't really afford.

yello

The Nevis particularly! It was well reviewed, and got best buys, as a budget waterproof... and it is waterproof but, my lord, you cook! I always had the pit zips open fully on the few occassions I wore it. I only paid £30 for mine from that roving bike jumble thing so I didn't feel too out of pocket.

Lazy-Commuter said:
I've got a Montane Fetherlite smock. I don't get too sweaty under there and I am a Sweat Monster. Course, maybe I'm too lazy to build up a sweat.

I don't know how good it would be for prolonged periods of wetness but I was nice and dry in the torrential p'ing down windy conditions of last night after 30 minutes getting home.
I've got a Montane Featherlite too and I have found it the best of my collection for breatheability but long term, in torrential its always lets the rain in. I always find I have a build up of water in the inside of the elbows. I guess its the coice you make sweat v rain. I've found on days like Sunday's forum ride, when it was torrential a Gilet over the top kept my body nice and dry and I didn't overheat.

HLaB said:
I've got a Montane Featherlite too and I have found it the best of my collection for breatheability but long term, in torrential its always lets the rain in. I always find I have a build up of water in the inside of the elbows. I guess its the coice you make sweat v rain. I've found on days like Sunday's forum ride, when it was torrential a Gilet over the top kept my body nice and dry and I didn't overheat.
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my arms got wet in heavy rain that lasted throughout my ride in. A week or so ago I washed it in the Nikwax Techwash re-proofing stuff and it was fine again yesterday, which was heavier rain. So I've made a resolution to give it a "regular" treat during the winter.

fofo

HLaB said:

I have this too and despite a torrential downpour my top half remained completely dry. Same can't be said for my "waterproof" 3/4 trousers

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Anyone tried Paramo clothing (and others like it)? It has a fleecy layer with a thin pertex outer. You wash it in Nikwax stuff, and it's supposed to function like animal fur.

Sounds good, costs lots, so I haven't tried it.

Top Bottom