breathing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

does anyone else adopt a slightly different breathing technique when riding on the drops?
I have been getting used to it slightly more recently, and the breathing is slightly different. Was doing it quite a lot on the ride home today, and it feels like my lungs have got about a centimetre deeper just on today's ride.

bobg

Über Member
bonj said:
does anyone else adopt a slightly different breathing technique when riding on the drops?
I have been getting used to it slightly more recently, and the breathing is slightly different. Was doing it quite a lot on the ride home today, and it feels like my lungs have got about a centimetre deeper just on today's ride.

Funny you should mention that Bonj, I've been on the drops a lot recently what with the wind, and my breathing felt quite restricted. Just on a whim I stuck some slighly wider bars on (only a couple of inches wider) and I've noticed I seem to be able to suck in more air more quickly and deeply. I don't think its my imagination. Can't say I use a different technique though, I'll check it out tomorrow just in case.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as your position is good, it shouldn't make a difference - you probably concentrated more, increasing breathing efficiency - you'll be TT'ing soon !

I still ride loads on the hoods, but my position is quite stretched anyway - throwback from my TT days !

OP
OP
B

bonj2

i think it might be somehow due to the fact that I go faster, not just due to wind resistance - probably a bit of that, but just due to the fact i somehow psychologically feel i should be going faster, so i do. I know i always almost without thinking about it switch up a gear when motoring along on the drops. I did used to get the stomach-being-compressed syndrome but i raised the seat a bit and that improved it no end, to the point where it's now quite comfy riding on the drops, just feels respiratorily different.

Nick1979

When on the drops, you usually go faster because of less wind resistance, but also because the position make you push harder on the pedals (something to do with the CG being more forward relative to the BB or something like that... sorry for the lack of precision, I have to research a bit more :-) )

Mr Pig

In and out works for me. I tried just breathing out but my head started to hurt and I couldn't keep it up.

Top Bottom