Brexit, what genuine effects have people experienced?

shep

Über Member
As the title says, there's been Thousands of posts stating, and proving apparently, how bad this deal was/is but what have people actually experienced up to yet?

No links to reports or biased Newspaper articles but real negative, or positive, experiences have you people actually had.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We have moved 20 jobs out from my office to the Netherlands, Poland and India, the office is closing and I will work from home. Some of the 20 have got new jobs already but less than half. I have no doubt that sooner or a later a new CEO will decide that remote working is not what he wants and my job will move to the Netherlands. After years of investment in the UK by my company this started to dry up in 2018 and turned into a flow out of the country. It has been confirmed internally that this is due largely (but not solely) to Brexit. These 20 jobs were all post graduate jobs with each individual earning over £50k, so a lot of tax receipts for the country never mind the devastation to the employees affected and their families.

I am also struggling to get bicycle parts and electronics from Europe :cry:

Last edited:
OP
shep

shep

Über Member
Thank you, as you have stated though not all due to Brexit.

I've also had difficulty in getting some bits but also ordered something from Germany last Friday and it arrived on Monday so not all bad.

cougie uk

My ex company Haas had to build up stocks several times to cope with all of the various brexit deadlines. So extra stock costs there.

When their costs will be compared to the European sites - it's not going to be favourable for the UK sites going forward.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thank you, as you have stated though not all due to Brexit.

I've also had difficulty in getting some bits but also ordered something from Germany last Friday and it arrived on Monday so not all bad.
Correct, not all due to Brexit, but I would say at least 60% and undoubtedly it sped up the process significantly. Not a single other country operating the same way in the EU has been affected, even ones with higher costs than the UK. Having to layoff 7 of my team, some of whom I have known for over 20 years was heart breaking, rehiring elsewhere has filled the gap somewhat but a huge amount of experience has been totally lost and the effect on us survivors has been very hard. We all know that it is only a matter of time before we go too, probably into a post Brexit and post Covid wasteland on the job market front. Well at least we have blue passports that we cannot use.

OP
shep

shep

Über Member
Again, thanks.
The point of this thread was to hear real experiences and I thank you for that, I'm not trying to prove anything either way just.

OP
shep

shep

Über Member
My (Scottish) son in law has been unable to apply for "EU citizen" posts in Europe.
Will that change do you know?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Much-restricted choice and/or bigger expense for bike parts

Retirement plans trashed as no right to lIve in the EU (can apply for residency but unlikely to make joint minimum income requirements, as SO has little pension provision even though mine is good)

That's it so far but it'll get a lot worse due to economic effects.

I find HMG has been reamed out of any vestige of talent and stuffed with clueless little Caesars, Napoleans and grifters appointed on the basis of their loyalty to the Brexit project, leaving us horribly exposed and rudderless in the Covid storm, probably resulting in tens of thousands of preventable deaths.

OP
shep

shep

Über Member
I find HMG has been reamed out of any vestige of talent and stuffed with clueless little Caesars, Napoleans and grifters appointed on the basis of their loyalty to the Brexit project, leaving us horribly exposed and rudderless in the Covid storm, probably resulting in tens of thousands of preventable deaths.
No direct experience then, just opinion.

Top Bottom