Brexit, what genuine effects have people experienced?

Good point. The only reason I can't see the agreements being modified into the future is if the EU Commission continue putting their own power and prestige above that of the prosperity of the member states.
As far as I know the member states haven't ratified it yet, so if they think there's a problem they can still block it.

These are member states who have heard the UK's rudeness over the last few years, and who have citizens in the UK who have been excluded from the vote then treated very badly. I doubt they will be in the mood to open up negotiations very soon.

Last edited:

Chris S

Guru
Might be a popular meal where you live ?
Not so popular that they've been out of stock for several weeks before.

the snail

Guru
Why do you think the government in the republic haven't gone down your well defined and quite straightforward path of 'external impediment'? Is it because they haven't noticed what you have, or some other reason?
Well, apart from anything else, Johnson agreed to a border in the Irish sea, and once the ROI has organised additional supply routes avoiding the UK hopefully they can get by ok, despite the dismal clusterf*** which is Johnson's brexit. I don't think the referendum is relevant to the GFI anyway, because it had no real legal standing. It was the tories invoking article 50, and their idiotic red lines that put a spanner in the works.

icowden

Über Member
If something is coming from California, it isn't coming from the EU. Simple
Sorry - I hadn't realised that the full assessment of the impact of Brexit was based on whether or not it is easy to import a watch from California.

In the meantime, I'm surprised that no-one has leaped to point out that one of the actual appreciable benefits of Brexit is that the UK was able to procure vaccinations more quickly, by paying more money.

Although this is similar to pointing out that having waited a year for the building to collapse we were able to get a repair team out more quickly than our EU counterparts, but ignoring the argument that if we hadn't let the house collapse in the first place we wouldn't have needed to get the repair team out more quickly at all.

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
There are no changes to importing from California. So it wasn't Brexit related, but got put down as such.
Goods coming from the US (or elsewhere) don't necessarily arrive directly in the UK; some arrive via an intermediate EU destination. Simple reasons for this are cost/efficiency, as the EU is the bigger market.

I don't have a scooby if Brexit affects such imports. Do you?

icowden

Über Member
I don't have a scooby if Brexit affects such imports. Do you?
A good example might be Amazon. Up until Brexit UK customers could easily purchase from vendors in any EU member state.
Post Brexit Amazon has had to separate its EU and UK warehouses and decide how to manage the import costs.
If EU businesses don't want the extra red tape they can use "fulfilled by amazon" but may won't as they make less profit.

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
A good example might be Amazon. Up until Brexit UK customers could easily purchase from vendors in any EU member state.
Post Brexit Amazon has had to separate its EU and UK warehouses and decide how to manage the import costs.
If EU businesses don't want the extra red tape they can use "fulfilled by amazon" but may won't as they make less profit.
Or some cycling-specific examples are Fizik, Rose Bikes and Brooks; all neglecting to ship to the UK.
Most (but not all) products are available from resellers, but I'm not seeing good prices.

DRM

Veteran
They have also completed building some large warehouses in the North of England, Bowburn in County Durham, near Durham services just off the A1, and a second warehouse on the Cross Green Industrial Estate in Leeds, along with fleets of Amazon Prime branded artics that you never used to see up until a few months ago, I suspect new warehouses will have been built all over the UK, This speaks volumes about the "Oven ready deal" we have had inflicted on us.

Top Bottom