Bright Light Dirt Cheap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

Looks worth a gamble for a little over £4.50 each. Noticed it's got Police written on it - maybe a "job lot" to clear.

What do others think?

Davidc

Guru
17w from 3 AAAs doesn't look likely.

3 AAAs give 4.5v so a current of 3.8A is needed, at full rated voltage! Not a prayer.

A brand new Procell AAA gives 4.2A short circuit current into my multimeter (just done it), dropping to less than 3.7A in under half a minute, and that'll be at a very low voltage. It got quite hot too.

Suggest you ask the seller to provide some realistic performance figures - it may well be a very good bike light but it certainly isn't a 17w LED.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
I'd be a bit concerned about the quality of the torch. It looks very much like one of the plasticcy things that you'd buy (I bought) off one of those street vendors who come round and annoy (me) you in a restaurant in Greece on holiday and you (I) feel sorry for them so you buy (I bought) one.

dudi

I reckon there's a decimal place missing too.
Might still get one, as they;re still reasonably bright for a secondary lamp... Mine is acting suspiciously like it's about to break any time now, and the clamp on this one looks lovely and secure.

scouserinlondon

I've got two of these on the front of my bike, and they do the job pretty well. I bought cheapy lights this year to see if I could hack night riding, if I keep the faith over the dark months then i may get a hope one next winter.

scouserinlondon

I've got two of these on the front of my bike, and they do the job pretty well. I bought cheapy lights this year to see if I could hack night riding, if I keep the faith over the dark months then i may get a hope one next winter.

+1 for the lights suggested by scouserinlondon. They are pretty good for slow speed riding - maybe not big enough for top speed blatting, but I am not fit enough to travel at high speed anyway! The lights appear well made, and no problems with them so far (touch wood).

Top Bottom