Bristol bus driver hitting bike - prison ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member

If the victim had died, the crime might well have been murder, but the circumstances do not support a charge of attempted murder.
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/homicide_murder_and_manslaughter/#attempted

Intent
For the principal defendant, (see later for Joint Enterprise) the intent for murder is the intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH), nothing less. Foresight is no more than evidence from which the jury may draw the inference of intent, c.f. R v Woollin [1999] 1 Cr App R 8 (HOL).

Attempted Murder
In contrast to the offence of murder, attempted murder requires the existence of an intention to kill, not merely to cause grievous bodily harm: R v Grimwood (1962) 3 All ER 285. The requisite intention to kill can be inferred by the circumstances: R v Walker and Hayles (1990) 90 Cr App R 226.

BSRU

A Human Being
Good to see the judge taking it seriously and not letting whatever occurred before the incident detract from the appalling behaviour of the coach driver.
Also a very positive and quick response from the bus company.

dodgy

busdriver.JPG

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1668670, member: 45"]Interesting post in the comments section....

Thursday, January 5 2012, 12:25PM
“One cyclist decided to go straight on into Stokes Croft, then overtake 2 bikes which were side-by-side by swerving into the main road. Without looking. While a bus was indicating to go into the bus stop. The driver beeped as a warning (he was doing less than 5mph due to the other slow pair of cyclists) and got a load of gesticulative abuse. It was one of those proper smug headcam cyclists aswell dressed with all the reflective gear, bet that incident didn't make it onto his blog.”[/quote]

Even if that's entirely true, it hardly excuses assault with the bus as a deadly weapon.

G-Zero

Über Member
If the victim had died, the crime might well have been murder, but the circumstances do not support a charge of attempted murder

Agreed, but he'd still be doing a decent stretch for 'causing death by dangerous driving'. Fortunately it didn't happen.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Good and bad on both sides. Bus driver should hopefully get what he deserves. We would all agree there, but then there is the report of the cyclists actions and it sometimes makes you wonder why motorists/bus drivers do what they do. Hardly sensible behaviour is it???

BSRU

A Human Being
Good and bad on both sides. Bus driver should hopefully get what he deserves. We would all agree there, but then there is the report of the cyclists actions and it sometimes makes you wonder why motorists/bus drivers do what they do. Hardly sensible behaviour is it???
We do not know from this news item what the cyclist or bus driver did or didn't do/say at the proceeding altercation, fortunately the judge decided it was irrelevant to the case before him.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Hopefully I wasn't trying to confuse anyone. The incident I refered to was the one where the cyclist with the head cam etc overtook other cyslists, cut up a bus and then made gestures at the bus driver for sounding his horn at him.
As for the bus in Bristol and that cyclist I do not no the events leading up to that incident. Apologies if I seemed to be linking 2 different incidents.

BSRU

A Human Being
Hopefully I wasn't trying to confuse anyone. The incident I refered to was the one where the cyclist with the hear cam etc overtook other cyslists, cut up a bus and then made gestures at the bus driver for sounding his horn at him.
As for the bus in Bristol and that cyclist I do not no the events leading up to that incident. Apoligies if I seemed to be linking 2 different incidents.
Thanks for clearing that up, I did think you were commenting on the news report.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Unfortunately, every cycling-related article on the "this is bristol" news site brings out extremists on both sides !

Top Bottom