FNRttC Bristol to Barry Friday Night Ride - 5th May (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
OK, @Archeress - great news. There's a hoop or two to leap through:
  1. bring a sense of humour
  2. check the bike, esp the tyres, and Read. The. Basics.
  3. remember the sense of humour. These rides are just about the fun-nest thing you can do on a bike.
there's a form to fill in and stuff: best to sign up for updates here and when @User482 opens the ride you click on the link and fill in the form. You need to be a member of The Fridays which costs a mighty two of Her Majesty's Pounds for an entire year to do a ride.
I'll get onto that. My bikes are well looked after and the roadie has Contie Gatorskins, but Ill give em a check over a week or so before hand.

Hugs
Archeress x

U

User482

This kinda interests me but I'm worried I will not be up to it, anything anyone can say to engourage/discourage me?

Hugs
Archeress x
What the other two said... we will ride at a conversational pace and ensure no-one is left behind. If you have any concerns at all please feel free to drop me a message.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
the roadie has Contie Gatorskins, but Ill give em a check over a week or so before hand
This is great news, look forward to saying hello.

I have Gatorskins on the Giant - before a night ride I let the air out of the tyres so I can squeeze them and open up the small cuts in the rubber, and inspect them with a magnifying glass and tease out the little bits of glass stuck in the rubber, using a small screwdriver, then pump them up again.

It's obviously a complete pain and takes ages: but it's better to do it in the shed at home than changing an innertube at 3am in the rain and dark with 30 people waiting for you while wishing you dead and all your ancestors condemned to hell for a thousand years.

U

User482

Just signed up for the news letter and paid my subs. I am a affiliate CTC member through my local cycle club.

Hugs
Archeress x
Great! I'll open the ride for registration about a month in advance - you'll receive an email and I'll post it on here. As @mmmmartin said, you're covered for a whole year - all the 2017 rides are listed on the website.

Archeress

Veteran
Great! I'll open the ride for registration about a month in advance - you'll receive an email and I'll post it on here. As @mmmmartin said, you're covered for a whole year - all the 2017 rides are listed on the website.

Thank you @User482, look forward to meeting you in May x

So, @Archeress - You've missed the newsletter with details of our annual Tour into Europe (actually this year there are two, but that's another matter) so here's a link to info on the Tour. We're usually about two dozen and it looks as if we'll be the same number this year.

Nice thought @mmmmartin, but with an MSc Dissertation to complete this summer, with final viva sometime in the autumn, any breaks away will probably be with my fiance and I really doubt he would be up to this sort of riding. Mind you, in about 3 weeks, he's getting a new bike as a gift from his employer for working there 25 years, a Specialized Sirrus City 2017 and it will be a vast improvement over his Carrera. Mind you, it's the model where the entire frame is painted with reflective paint, so night riding whilst being safe for him might be a bit of a blinder for riders around him!

Hugs
Archeress x

Thank you @User482, look forward to meeting you in May x

Nice thought @mmmmartin, but with an MSc Dissertation to complete this summer, with final viva sometime in the autumn, any breaks away will probably be with my fiance and I really doubt he would be up to this sort of riding. Mind you, in about 3 weeks, he's getting a new bike as a gift from his employer for working there 25 years, a Specialized Sirrus City 2017 and it will be a vast improvement over his Carrera. Mind you, it's the model where the entire frame is painted with reflective paint, so night riding whilst being safe for him might be a bit of a blinder for riders around him!

Hugs
Archeress x
FWIW, The Tour does not involve any night riding... other than any after dinner excursions you arrange for yourself! ;)

wanda2010

Guru
Trains and bike spots now booked. Process so much easier than Virgin Trains.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've just booked myself an airbnb room in Cardiff for the Saturday so that I can sleep off the night's exertions before heading on. The mini-tour Cambridge-Bristol-Cardiff-the rest of Wales is taking shape.

As some on here might say, only 33 sleeps to go!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've just booked myself an airbnb room in Cardiff for the Saturday so that I can sleep off the night's exertions before heading on. The mini-tour Cambridge-Bristol-Cardiff-the rest of Wales is taking shape.

As some on here might say, only 33 sleeps to go!
Which way you going on Sunday, Rob? Can prob put you up at Château Claud if you are heading Westwards. Although you might have a more epic distance in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom