British Cycling club race license

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Can a club be affiliated with BC....but not race affiliated?
How do you make it race affiliated and is there a large cost?
If your club isn't race affiliated (say for example your uni club), could you race in that club's colours whilst technically being part for another club (having payed club fees etc)

Thanks!

Will1985

Über Member
Can a club be affiliated with BC....but not race affiliated?
How do you make it race affiliated and is there a large cost?
If your club isn't race affiliated (say for example your uni club), could you race in that club's colours whilst technically being part for another club (having payed club fees etc)

Thanks!
Affiliation is affiliation - it doesn't matter what you intend to use it for (touring, sunday rides, racing). It is currently £88 for a standard membership then there's at least £50 on top of that if the club is sponsored.

It sounds like you are want it for university - most university clubs are not affiliated to anything and just ride. You do not need club affiliation to ride BUCS events (which are CTT or BC controlled), although you do need BC individual membership to ride the road race. Most students remain members of their home club and compete under that name in anything other than BUCS events. I believe there are only five CTT affiliated university clubs: Birmingham, Cambridge, Durham, Oxford, plus Warwick Tri - the first four are well organised clubs who have the most success (and AU support).

IIRC you want to go to Lancaster...a student from there won the BUCS hillclimb in 2009 and rides for Blackburn & District CTC.

Wearing another club's colours is frowned upon/against regulations in races, although you may wear your home club colours in BUCS events unless you are a member of one of the clubs mentioned above. That said, most universities now have at least a jersey to show where they come from.

It can get even more complicated if your home club gets arsey about wearing uni kit - HACC were not very happy about riders not wearing purple at BUCS events.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
cheers Will, very helpful.
Apparently we are affiliated, but when I type "Lancaster" into the racing license page, the uni club does not appear, so it looks like apart from BUCS events, I won't be riding for lancaster's colours, which seems odd.

I'm surprised so little clubs are CTT registered, how exactly does this limit time trialing?

I think that winner still holds the record by a fair few seconds....nobody this year came close, pretty insane! Will you be at the BUCS RR this year?

Will1985

Über Member
Basically you can't ride under the name of a club which isn't affiliated. I just did the BC club finder search and found only 4 clubs.

Cycling isn't big on the agenda of many AUs - considered to be too costly. MTBing is a huge drain on resources, especially transport and uplifts - at the majority of universities, the MTBers then don't enter the only BUCS competition weekend available to them...funding is usually dependant on BUCS representation.

Your choices basically become:
1) Ride for your home club
2) Ride for your home club and become 2nd claim member of a club local to university
3) Ride for a club local to university

While I'm not a student anymore, I'll be racing the open section at the BUCS 25, possibly 10, and be the "feed zone soigneur" for Birmingham at the RR.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Might see you there then, I'll be giving it a go though I'm building off of basically no fitness as of the last few weeks. I know we nearly got AU sponsorship last year, and it's a strong possibility this year. As for mountain biking there's usually 2 trips a month to the lakes or other good places, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to persuade the club to affiliate if it is really that simple.

Thanks for laying it out for me, much appreciated

Top Bottom