British Cycling legal advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I've just joined British Cycling as my CTC membership expired. Like most, it's mainly for the third party insurance and legal assistance.

The paperwork came through two days ago and I've only just had a chance to sit down and read it. I noticed in the small print this:

"Unfortunately, the Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling's solicitors will not support a legal action:

- against another member of British Cycling"

Before I drop them an email, has anyone clarified this with British Cycling? I'm trying to work out if that means if I was hit by a car driver who happened to be a member of British Cycling they wouldn't offer any assistance...

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
No idea, on this one...But will be intrested in the replies.
My CTC membership runs out this week, i'm just about to do my Breeze instructots course & will get BC memebrship as part of it, # 3 now has BSCA & BC memebrship through his cycling club, so was wondering if it really worth renewing a family CTC membership.

oldroadman

Veteran
From what I understand, it's about rider to rider claims mainly in races. You aise an interesting point, but surely if you were hit by a BC member in a car, as you mention, that would be between you and the driver's insurance company, not BC, if at the time they are in a car as opposed to riding? Best call the legal helpline and ask your question, but that's how I understand it.

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
I'll get in touch with them and let you know what I find
smile.gif

No idea, on this one...But will be intrested in the replies.
My CTC membership runs out this week, i'm just about to do my Breeze instructots course & will get BC memebrship as part of it, # 3 now has BSCA & BC memebrship through his cycling club, so was wondering if it really worth renewing a family CTC membership.

CTC membership has gone up to £39, BC is just £24 and I got £12 cashback as a new member through Quidco.

Since I only joined CTC for the insurance and legal cover, the extra money isn't worth it for me. I have only ever at most done a cursory glance through the magazine, I've never used any of the discounts or other member benefits and quite frankly some of the weird things I've been asked to vote for have baffled me.....

I'd never heard of the Breeze scheme before so looked it up, sounds like a great initiative, I hope you're successful with it funnymummy.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/recreation/article/rec20110525-recreation-Women--Breeze-Launches-0

From what I understand, it's about rider to rider claims mainly in races. You aise an interesting point, but surely if you were hit by a BC member in a car, as you mention, that would be between you and the driver's insurance company, not BC, if at the time they are in a car as opposed to riding? Best call the legal helpline and ask your question, but that's how I understand it.

The booklet has separate sections for race membership and ride membership - I'm just a ride member, and this is where it was.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'll get in touch with them and let you know what I find
smile.gif

CTC membership has gone up to £39, BC is just £24 and I got £12 cashback as a new member through Quidco.

Since I only joined CTC for the insurance and legal cover, the extra money isn't worth it for me. I have only ever at most done a cursory glance through the magazine, I've never used any of the discounts or other member benefits and quite frankly some of the weird things I've been asked to vote for have baffled me.....

I have Family Membership, so it's £63 to renew, i've do read the mag..I was lying inbed with it this morn LOL!But i've not done a proper real tour in years, so like you i've just stayed a member for the insurance etc I added my bubs to my solo about 3 years ago, when realised if we had an accident I had a combined value of over £1k in bikes, not alot compared to the cost of some bikes today, but more then I could afford to replace!
So really the only one not covered would be #2, the only time he rides is when I tow him on his trailer. I could get hime a BC Ride membership for £24..Bit of a saving from £63 :whistle:

I'dnever heard of the Breeze scheme before so looked it up, sounds like a great initiative, I hope you're successful with it funnymummy.

http://www.britishcy...eeze-Launches-0

Thnak you, have got lots of plans to get bums on saddles, and will be running some basic mantainnace groups (couretsey of the Bike Project I volunteer at) just for the ladies too, hoping to get some Family Days going too, most of the women i speak to about cycling are terrfied of 'breaking down' or havn't got time to cycle because of the kids..Both are viable with a little help
Found out last week, that another mum from our sons cycling club is on the same course too, so we're going to pool our resources

Top Bottom