British Cycling Licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

ok so I was at a race the other night that I didnt actually know was a BC race, so I had to fill out a reg form and pay 15 quid. The lady said this would get me a bronze british cycling membership. What does this mean exactly and what do I get for it - a card or something? Does it mean that any other BC races I attend are a bit cheaper? cheers

Will1985

Über Member
Almost all races in the UK will be BC or TLI I think.

Better to get silver for the legal protection - you'll never know when you might need it. Even then it is only a provisional licence.

monnet

Guru
It's all on the BC website. I looked into it all and decided to go for the Silver. Bronze doesn't get you much if you want to race.

With silver you get a provisional with the option to take out a full licence. With bronze you have to upgrade the membership to get a full licence.

With the bronze provisional you usually have to pay more for a day licence than the silver (£10 over £5 seems to be standard).

trio25

Über Member
What does the provisional licence mean you can do? I have silver membership so have a provisional licence. But do I need to get a full licence as I am planning on racing cross this winter?

Big T

Guru
trio25 said:
What does the provisional licence mean you can do? I have silver membership so have a provisional licence. But do I need to get a full licence as I am planning on racing cross this winter?

You can ride local cyclo-cross league races on a provisional licence (such as West Midlands League or Notts and Derby League), but if you want to do any National Trophy races or ride the National Champs, you'll have to pay out for a full licence.

Top Bottom