British Industry Leads to World

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Phaeton, 5 Jul 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

Urban myth. ;)

2. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Twas on TV so if has to be true :laugh:

Dirk likes this.
  3. Smudge

Smudge Senior Member

I nearly bought the Stelvio around 8 yrs ago, but my head ruled my heart and i bought a Yam Super Tenere 1200. Glad i did as i have mates who have owned Guzzis and had a lot of probs with them.
    KTM are another mc manufacturer with a lot of reliability issues, KTM is known as standing for Keep Taking Money.

4. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I always wondered what the real reason that KTM pulled out of the McGregor round the world thing, it passed my mind that they were confident they wouldn't make it.

5. Smudge

Smudge Senior Member

Of course they were, there's no way it would have made it without many serious issues. Although their Beemers had plenty of issues as well, but when you've got a support crew it doesn't really matter.

6. kapelmuur

kapelmuur Über Member

I worked for a company that had the Truimph distributorship for the former British colonies in West Africa. When Honda, Suzuki etc arrived to take our sales our MD went to Meridan to try to convince Triumph to fit indicators and self starters and to redesign the engines so that they didn’t leak oil everywhere.

He was politely shown the door with the words that Triumph customers didn’t want gimmicks as they were serious motorcyclists. We negotiated an agreement with Kawasaki as quick as we could!

Later, I managed the BMC distributorship in Cameroon. What a bed of nails that was. The outcome was ditching them for Subaru.

This sort of thing was normal for British industry. Managements were useless public schoolboys who knew nothing about engineering or production and rarely visited a shop floor. People talk about the power of the unions in those says and I argue that they were just filling a leadership vacuum left by feeble management.

Andy in Germany, DP and Paulus like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Sounds very much like British Politics currently I wonder as our industrial prowess failed the PSB's had to find another cushy number to go into.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  8. Domus

Domus Veteran

The British disease of "Short Terminism" From industry to government. Japanese manufacturers will invest in plant and machinery for the long term.
    In this country investors demand a return ASAP and therefore are slow to respond.

When I was a lowly apprentice in the early 1970s a friend bought a brand new Honda 250. All the blokes on the shop floor came to look at it. Who wants electric start and indicators? was the general tone of the conversation, it turned out everyone. After taking the market for motor bikes the Japanese turned their attention to cars. Radios, three speed heater fans, heated rear screens, three year warranties, BL didn't know what hit them.

Andy in Germany and Paulus like this.
  9. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

There is no such thing* as the British motor industry. It's all owned by international groups. Jaguar Land Rover is Indian. Perhaps it might be a good idea not to break off ties with our largest international markets just yet?

*Other than a few tiny niche players like Aston Martin.

Paulus likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Unfortunately the powers that be have decided to move this to the dark place, as the OP I have asked for the thread to be deleted.

11. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

Let's hope they refuse, it's been an interesting read.

12. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Aston Martin are a public company now, so owned by lots of different nationality, incidentally their share price has halved since going public 6 months ago.

13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

...to the end of the road

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice