British National Cyclo-Cross Championships in Derby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Watch out for Ian Field, going very well at the moment. Quite a battle in prospect with several top contenders all in form. Conditions will, I think, have a big influence. Let's just hope it's fast with good technical challenge as well.

OP
OP
MotorpointProCycling
I'll keep an eye out. A lot of people reckon weather is going to make a big impression, from what I hear Ian Bibby is feeling pretty good at the moment.

Should be quite a good crowd of fans if the weather holds out, and an exciting to 2011.

Big T

Guru
I think it's between Oldham, Crawforth, Bibby anf Field.Watch out for Tom Last - going very well at the moment (2nd and 1st last weekend), and has trained specifically for it.

Big T

Guru
I would say Tom's equally good at road racing, particularly hilly races. He's not really done cross seriously since he was a junior, but has had a decent season so far this year.BTW, my son, Stephen Adams (who is a Sigma team mate of Tom's) is also riding, but hasn't really trained specifically for it. He's  still going quite well off the back of his base training for the road season, though (4th in last weekend's Midlands Champs, giving Dave Collins a run for his money). I predict a top 10, possible top 5 for Tom and a top 15 for Steve.

OP
OP
MotorpointProCycling
Fair play to your son. Must be a proud parent. I'll keep your sons name in my head as one to keep an eye out for. We've got quite a few good young riders coming through at the moment.

Will you be going to watch your son then?

Big T

Guru
I'll be in the pits for the senior race, so will be watching at close quarters (unless it's muddy, in which case I'll be busy washing bikes). I hope the pits are better placed than last time at Moorways. Hardly saw a thing last time.

Tom and Steve have been friends and rivals since they were 11. Both rode the Euro's and the Worlds in 2006 and now ride on the same road team.

mudplugger

Über Member
We've got quite a few good young riders coming through at the moment.

Unfortunately, about 8 of them have gone through and out the other side and are in pro road teams or Olympic Academy. Now not doing cross or not doing it seriously. There's 3 Ex GB cross riders with Motorpoint for a start..Bibby, McEvoy and Mark Thwaites.

Significantly weaker National fields in all categories than the mid 2000s.

OP
OP
MotorpointProCycling
Ian Bibby says he wont be riding in the Champs now as he has had a heavy cold for some time.

There has been a lot of riders who enjoy the cross and then find themselves signed into pro road teams such as Motorpoint. Seems to be a trend.

Big T

Guru
<br />I would say Tom's equally good at road racing, particularly hilly races. He's not really done cross seriously since he was a junior, but has had a decent season so far this year.BTW, my son, Stephen Adams (who is a Sigma team mate of Tom's) is also riding, but hasn't really trained specifically for it. He's  still going quite well off the back of his base training for the road season, though (4th in last weekend's Midlands Champs, giving Dave Collins a run for his money). I predict a top 10, possible top 5 for Tom and a top 15 for Steve.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Spot on with my forecast. Tom Last 8th, Steve Adams 13th.

P.H

Über Member
I know nothing of Cyclo-cross, but as this was practically on my doorstep it seemed rude not to go.

What a fantastic couple of days entertainment, every race I saw from the under tens in the park to the hard fought seniors was so incredibly competitive. I'm in awe of all the riders.

Took a few photos if anyone wants a look;

Day1

Day 2

Top Bottom