Broken collarbone. Real world recovery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I found it quite a long and painful recovery, but it was quite badly broken into 3 pieces and has a titanium plate and a total of 8 screws. Surgeon didn't recommend removing it again unless it was causing any major problems which it hasn't. I would hate to land on it again in a fall though as I have visions of the plate and screws coming apart and poking through the skin or something! Probably wouldn't. Just my vivid imagination.
I wouldn't worry, I ended up in the side of a car after the driver pulled across me, not a hint of any damage to the collarbone or the plate and screws. Like you I was worried but there wasn't much to be worried about in the end.

I fractured the ball joint at the top of my humerus around five years ago and can relate to this.https://www.disjointedreality.com/journal/2017/4/29/an-unexpected-break It echoes my experiences to some extent. My accident happened on 31st August 2012 on the last Friday of the school holidays. I was a teacher at the time and was 'looking forward' to returning to work on the following Monday. Well that never happened. By 16th September I had managed to lever myself back onto the turbo. I did it by standing over the top tube and clipping each foot in in turn and pulling and pushing myself on to the saddle. I rode 4 times that week all logged on Strava as one armed post crash rides. These continued for around month until I was finally riding with both hands on the bars. I did it initially by padding the right bar out with a towel which in fairly short order became less and less necessary. I began to drive also, sitting close to the steering wheel like a Nascar driver, enough to get me into work only to be told I needed to see an occupational health adviser before returning. Simple fact was. I had very little mobility in my right arm and wasn't allowed to return to work on H&S grounds; stairs, crowded corridors, children, bags etc were all cited . I eventually returned on 3rd December following a second OH assessment on a phased return. The garage and I become well acquainted through the winter months and it wasn't until 17th Feb that I ventured back out on the road. Different injury I know but a similar experience in so many ways

OP
OP
D

DisjointedReality

Any issue with where you rode? Have read that stressing / vibrating the collar bone should be avoided for some time and rough tracks should be avoided. The only way I have to/from home that does not involve a hill is on a gavel track through a country park.
It certainly felt unstable during the early rides, and was uncomfortable afterwards. However I felt that once the bone had started to fuse, it benefited from gentle exercise. I kept my early rides relatively flat and smooth.

OP
OP
D

DisjointedReality

I fractured the ball joint at the top of my humerus around five years ago and can relate to this.https://www.disjointedreality.com/journal/2017/4/29/an-unexpected-break It echoes my experiences to some extent. My accident happened on 31st August 2012 on the last Friday of the school holidays. I was a teacher at the time and was 'looking forward' to returning to work on the following Monday. Well that never happened. By 16th September I had managed to lever myself back onto the turbo. I did it by standing over the top tube and clipping each foot in in turn and pulling and pushing myself on to the saddle. I rode 4 times that week all logged on Strava as one armed post crash rides. These continued for around month until I was finally riding with both hands on the bars. I did it initially by padding the right bar out with a towel which in fairly short order became less and less necessary. I began to drive also, sitting close to the steering wheel like a Nascar driver, enough to get me into work only to be told I needed to see an occupational health adviser before returning. Simple fact was. I had very little mobility in my right arm and wasn't allowed to return to work on H&S grounds; stairs, crowded corridors, children, bags etc were all cited . I eventually returned on 3rd December following a second OH assessment on a phased return. The garage and I become well acquainted through the winter months and it wasn't until 17th Feb that I ventured back out on the road. Different injury I know but a similar experience in so many ways
Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
D

DisjointedReality

I found it quite a long and painful recovery, but it was quite badly broken into 3 pieces and has a titanium plate and a total of 8 screws. Surgeon didn't recommend removing it again unless it was causing any major problems which it hasn't. I would hate to land on it again in a fall though as I have visions of the plate and screws coming apart and poking through the skin or something! Probably wouldn't. Just my vivid imagination.
Yes, the fear of landing on it again stays with you for a while. I really don't think of it now.

Yes, the fear of landing on it again stays with you for a while. I really don't think of it now.
My accident was caused by a low late summer morning sun and a parked car. Whilst I don't think much about landing on my shoulder while riding now, I am conscious when out in similar conditions that I need to be extra careful.

Mike_P

Guru
Have working left arm, slingless since last Friday, slight ache at times and obvious limit on how much weight I can lift with it and to what height. Assessed the damage to the bike on Sunday and it has a slightly buckled front wheel and a pair of scratched brake hubs and levers. Rubbed the levers down and as they are black gave them a coating of black enamel. Hubs got a coating of plastic filler and the bike locked away until next weekend for further cosmetic attention to the hubs.

Simontm

Veteran
Did my collarbone in four places and four ribs and listened absolutely to the fracture clinic and physio. Back on the bike four months later without surgery - tho it's weird that I have a livid scar on my knee from a useless clean out at Ealing.
Since then I've had an off over the bars onto the road and into a windscreen of a car that crossed into me but the shoulder's been fine.

OP
OP
D

DisjointedReality

Did my collarbone in four places and four ribs and listened absolutely to the fracture clinic and physio. Back on the bike four months later without surgery - tho it's weird that I have a livid scar on my knee from a useless clean out at Ealing.
Since then I've had an off over the bars onto the road and into a windscreen of a car that crossed into me but the shoulder's been fine.
My experience of the cleaning of the flesh wounds is the same. I was hoping for them to be scrubbed clean and treated properly. Instead I got a squirt of saline over the wounds and a couple of poor quality dressings. I too still have the very visible scars.
Maybe surgery on my collarbone wound have resulted in a quicker recovery period, but I'm perfectly happy with the outcome of the non surgical route. It's now as strong as it was - I've full mobility and no pain, and no scar.

Simontm

Veteran
My experience of the cleaning of the flesh wounds is the same. I was hoping for them to be scrubbed clean and treated properly. Instead I got a squirt of saline over the wounds and a couple of poor quality dressings. I too still have the very visible scars.
Maybe surgery on my collarbone wound have resulted in a quicker recovery period, but I'm perfectly happy with the outcome of the non surgical route. It's now as strong as it was - I've full mobility and no pain, and no scar.
When I decided to headbutt the windscreen, I was taken to St Mary's and the major trauma unit. The clean out on my face was painful but as a result have a much smaller scar then I probably would have had if the nurse in Ealing had done it!

Mike_P

Guru
Last Friday was 12 weeks on and annoyingly the 'collarbone' has been hurting more in the last week than it had been, so as I have to go to the Hospital on Friday I resisted any first use of the bike for 12 weeks last weekend. Am slightly concerned over what the outcome of the Hospital visit might be. Re the bike the "slightly buckled front wheel" turned out to have a damaged rim so a replacement was needed - ebay to the rescue! Aside from the front wheel it now has different tyres and brake pads and top bar extra brake levers.

gibgrth

Broke my collarbone and hip bone after an off which was my own fault! After a second X-ray at nearly 14 weeks the collarbone has stopped healing so about 2/3 there! Had started to ride again but will have to stop again as doc has said if I damage it again it's surgery to fix it back again for another X-ray in five weeks

Top Bottom