Broken Promises

Bill Gates

Veteran
The last three years: -
We've had Theresa May promising in March this year that she would not hold EU elections - she did
When she was running for the leadership she said that there would be no General Election until 2020 - She called an election in 2017
She said a number of times that she would never resign- She did
She launched the dementia tax in the 2017 election campaign. - ditched
She promised to tackle "burning injustices" - from women earning less than men to black people getting harsher treatment from the justice system - Roll out of Universal Credit hitting the "just about managing" people she was supposed to protect.
Hiking National Insurance for the self-employed from 9% to 11% as announced in the budget - shelved (thankfully)
The country would accept 3000 child refugees - er 480.
Put workers on the board of companies to give them a voice - Shelved
And of course we are leaving the EU on the 31st October, no ifs no buts.

With a General Election coming what promises are the different parties going to make it that are at best dubious

welsh dragon

a permanent vacancy now exists
All of them.

The last three years: -
We've had Theresa May promising in March this year that she would not hold EU elections - she did
When she was running for the leadership she said that there would be no General Election until 2020 - She called an election in 2017
She said a number of times that she would never resign- She did
She launched the dementia tax in the 2017 election campaign. - ditched
She promised to tackle "burning injustices" - from women earning less than men to black people getting harsher treatment from the justice system - Roll out of Universal Credit hitting the "just about managing" people she was supposed to protect.
Hiking National Insurance for the self-employed from 9% to 11% as announced in the budget - shelved (thankfully)
The country would accept 3000 child refugees - er 480.
Put workers on the board of companies to give them a voice - Shelved
And of course we are leaving the EU on the 31st October, no ifs no buts.

With a General Election coming what promises are the different parties going to make it that are at best dubious
A misunderstanding of the meaning of manifesto.

What May said was 'give me a workable mandate and this is what I will do'.

The electorate all but rejected that request, so most of the manifesto commitments were not met.

That's democracy for you, the public decided they didn't want what was on offer from her.

Blaming May - or any politician - for broken promises in that situation is missing the point.

Had she got a whopping majority and then failed to push through the legislation she would have deserved to be slagged off.

Last edited:
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Veteran
All very true but it pales into insignificance when you hear this old chestnut " You can't trust the economy with Labour. We inherited a massive deficit, blah blah blah"

Taken from Wikipedia

It began in 2007 with a crisis in the subprime mortgage market in the United States, and developed into a full-blown international banking crisis with the collapse of the investment bank Lehman Brothers on September 15, 2008.[5] Excessive risk-taking by banks such as Lehman Brothers helped to magnify the financial impact globally.[6] Massive bail-outs of financial institutions and other palliative monetary and fiscal policies were employed to prevent a possible collapse of the world financial system. The crisis was nonetheless followed by a global economic downturn, the Great Recession. The Asian markets (China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, etc.) immediately impacted and volatilized after the U.S. sub-prime crisis.[7] The European debt crisis, a crisis in the banking system of the European countries using the euro, followed later.

At the time the Tories were pushing for more deregulation as is their wont. And then they turned it on their head and accused the Labour government of not regulating the Financial market enough.

And the Tories used this as an excuse to decimate our public services with all sorts of repercussions like the Probation Service privatization fiasco. You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Guru
i think the same they may get into politics to make change but it soon turns out they are all pretty much the same either hampered by the system or greed .
In the UK you can thank your luck stars that the vast majority of people get into politics to genuinely make change, whatever their political beliefs and the eventual end game. Down here the majority get into it to make money. Corruption is the cancer of politics.

tom73

Über Member
A good few do that here too. In many ways politics is like private school not so much about the quality of eduction or the burning need to do good public service. But more about the contracts you make and the freebies you get.

All very true but it pales into insignificance when you hear this old chestnut " You can't trust the economy with Labour. We inherited a massive deficit, blah blah blah"

Taken from Wikipedia

It began in 2007 with a crisis in the subprime mortgage market in the United States, and developed into a full-blown international banking crisis with the collapse of the investment bank Lehman Brothers on September 15, 2008.[5] Excessive risk-taking by banks such as Lehman Brothers helped to magnify the financial impact globally.[6] Massive bail-outs of financial institutions and other palliative monetary and fiscal policies were employed to prevent a possible collapse of the world financial system. The crisis was nonetheless followed by a global economic downturn, the Great Recession. The Asian markets (China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, etc.) immediately impacted and volatilized after the U.S. sub-prime crisis.[7] The European debt crisis, a crisis in the banking system of the European countries using the euro, followed later.

At the time the Tories were pushing for more deregulation as is their wont. And then they turned it on their head and accused the Labour government of not regulating the Financial market enough.

And the Tories used this as an excuse to decimate our public services with all sorts of repercussions like the Probation Service privatization fiasco. You couldn't make it up.
So all you want to do is slag off the Tories.

That's fine, if wearisomely predictable.

But in future, try putting some honesty in the thread title to save me wasting my time reading it and replying.

After all, you seem keen to criticise others for dishonesty - you need to practice what you preach.

OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Veteran
So all you want to do is slag off the Tories.

That's fine, if wearisomely predictable.

But in future, try putting some honesty in the thread title to save me wasting my time reading it and replying.

After all, you seem keen to criticise others for dishonesty - you need to practice what you preach.
Not slagging off the Tories. Just putting the record straight on some misconceptions that are constantly brought up at the time of elections. You might well argue that indeed the Labour party cannot be trusted with the economy but then I would expect some evidence to show that e.g. PPI contracts for building hospitals which has cost millions. There I'm fighting your corner for you.

Not slagging off the Tories. Just putting the record straight on some misconceptions that are constantly brought up at the time of elections. You might well argue that indeed the Labour party cannot be trusted with the economy but then I would expect some evidence to show that e.g. PPI contracts for building hospitals which has cost millions. There I'm fighting your corner for you.
What part of the word 'honesty' do you not understand?

Slag off the Tories all you like, but be honest about it.

Top Bottom