Broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Had a spoke snap on me last night on the way home, had to slacken the rear brake right off as the rear wheel instantly buckled, the spoke snapped right where the thread is in the spoke nipple, I've never had one break on me before and was wondering what would of caused it? Maybe I'd over tensioned it when truing the wheel, is this a possibility? Does anyone use a spoke tension meter? Is it worth investing in one of these, or is it just one of those things that happen through no fault of your own?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
It is likely that your spokes are under uneven tension. That will certainly cause them to break . I wouldn't bother with a tensiometer, just tap each spoke in turn with a screwdriver and listen to the note. Just remember the drive side are likely to sound higher than the non-drive side a sthey are a tad shorter. The spokes in one side should sound very nearly the same note.

Another thing which will cause a break often just at the thread is that the nipple is seized to the spoke so although it feels as if you have tightened it, all you have actually done is to twist the spoke. I always lubricate the spokes and nipples on assembly to avoid this scenario.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Spokes tend to break though fatigue (caused by inadequate tension) - rather than as a result of over-tensioning.

Personally I've not used a tensionometer - I just pluck the spokes like a guitar string in order to check that they are all even tension. If a wheel is true, but tensions are not even around the wheel - it will rapidly go out of true.

Because of the dishing the NDS will be a lower note than the DS on the rear. Personally I reckon the A above middle C (+ or - 1 semitone) is about right for the front and the rear DS if using stainless double butted spokes.

I've read lots of arguments for tensionometers... all very persuasive, but the simple fact is that my own hand built wheels, built by "ear", have consistently failed to either go out of true or to break spokes..... which is not something I can say for some of the factory wheels I've had the misfortune to come across.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Spokes tend to break though fatigue (caused by inadequate tension) - rather than as a result of over-tensioning.

Personally I've not used a tensionometer - I just pluck the spokes like a guitar string in order to check that they are all even tension. If a wheel is true, but tensions are not even around the wheel - it will rapidly go out of true.

Because of the dishing the NDS will be a lower note than the DS on the rear. Personally I reckon the A above middle C (+ or - 1 semitone) is about right for the front and the rear DS if using stainless double butted spokes.

I've read lots of arguments for tensionometers... all very persuasive, but the simple fact is that my own hand built wheels, built by "ear", have consistently failed to either go out of true or to break spokes..... which is not something I can say for some of the factory wheels I've had the misfortune to come across.

In my experience, a tensionmeter is well worth the expense.

Despite getting my wheels perfectly true in the truing stand and plucking each spoke for the sound, I still broke spokes - 7 on different bikes in the space of 9 months.

I then got a tensionmeter and measured every spoke. Although they sounded the same, the actual tension varied too much.

Park Tools say a maximum 20% tension variance - some of mine were 30% plus. I undid every spoke and brought them within a 10% variance.

Despite being 17 stone and carrying two panniers, not broken any spokes since.

Having said that, my local bike shop wheelbuilder, builds by plucking and has done for 30 years. He has an excellent reputation so I guess it works if you're a dab hand.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Well I replaced the spoke, 3 hrs later still had a slight dip in the hub direction, couldn't get it completely out, and over tightened two spokes drive side trying to pull the rim over and they rounded off. I'd put the tyre back on at this point, why did I keep messing lol. Have to replace the nipples tonight. I don't think I should of slackened all the spokes off and started from scratch. Well it was a learning experience! Lol

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Well I replaced the spoke, 3 hrs later still had a slight dip in the hub direction, couldn't get it completely out, and over tightened two spokes drive side trying to pull the rim over and they rounded off. I'd put the tyre back on at this point, why did I keep messing lol. Have to replace the nipples tonight. I don't think I should of slackened all the spokes off and started from scratch. Well it was a learning experience! Lol

It’s the most frustrating bike maintenance job that I learnt to do.

I recall my first attempt to true a slightly out of true wheel. I finished my commute about 8pm and started work on the truing. I gave up at 1.30am and went to bed. A perfectly rideable wheel at 8pm, became totally un-rideable after 5.5 hours.

After many similar frustrating attempts, I cracked it.

When a spoke breaks, it automatically knocks the tension out in the surrounding spokes as they suddenly bear a greater load. When replacing a broken spoke, it’s best to undo the tension in all the other ones and start again…SLOWLY… a quarter turn… one nipple at a time.

Talking of nipples, you should always oil the nipple thread and a few mins before you start turning them.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I rode it into work today, I'll have to change the damaged nipples tonight though, I'm a bit heavy handed when tightening things up, I snap bolt heads and screw heads off lol I think I might have to get one of those tenion meters!

Top Bottom