Broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mog35

I had a nice ride earlier from Margate to Canterbury, bought a few records and got the train back. When I got back on the bike, I heard and felt a worrying 'ping' type noise, which I thought at first was my padlock knocking the frame.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a broken spoke. I managed to cycle the remaining four miles home, although the wheel's a bit out of true. I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, hopefully tomorrow as there's an LBS round the corner. Does anyone have an idea of how much *roughly* this'll cost me?

Broadside

Guru
£15 is the going rate for a spoke replacement at the bike shops near me, it should cover them truing the wheel too.

OP
OP
M

mog35

Thanks for your reply. £15 isn't too bad. Weirdly, I was thinking the other day how strong the wheels on my current bike seem to be seeing as I've had it for nearly a year, have ridden it a lot, and currently weigh over 20 stone. And then this happens! Sod's law, I suppose

e-rider

crappy member
the spoke costs between 50p and £1 depending on quality - the rest depends on the labour costs of the shop. More than £10 would be a rip-off IMO!

OP
OP
M

mog35

Just got it done - £12 in the end for two spokes (apparently another died or was on its way out). The wheel's dead straight now, so I'm looking forward to getting back out there tonight

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just got it done - £12 in the end for two spokes (apparently another died or was on its way out). The wheel's dead straight now, so I'm looking forward to getting back out there tonight

That's pretty good. Which cycle shop was it. A good service deserves to be named.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good price that.

I have an old rear wheel that I just pull spokes off to replace the ones on my MTB - cheap factory wheels. They used to break spokes whilst using for commuting. Since I re-tensioned them, I've only had one spoke go, again whilst commuting, not off road - weird - shows you, the roads are worse than full on off road circuits.

U

User6179

You're having a laugh surely!

Regardless of time it took it looks well worth it to me.

10-15 quid would be the going rate and what iwould charge if i fixed bikes for a living , I was saying its not a low hourly rate as the previous poster was saying .

Davidc

Guru
This would be a 10-15 minute job ,that would put it at 40-60 quid an hour , no that cheap !
Only if it was a front wheel and was done without tyre removal. I'd be surprised at a time lower than 20 minutes, which equates to a labour rate of £30 an hour, which in turn equates to a wage rate of less than £10 an hour if the shop is in a High Street type of location.

U

User6179

Only if it was a front wheel and was done without tyre removal. I'd be surprised at a time lower than 20 minutes, which equates to a labour rate of £30 an hour, which in turn equates to a wage rate of less than £10 an hour if the shop is in a High Street type of location.

Where do you get 20 quid an hour for running costs ?

Top Bottom