Broken spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

What am I doing wrong?

I have broken 3-4 spokes in the last 6 months - 3 on my old wheel which I replaced and now one on my new wheel (less that 500 miles old)

Any clues as the cause?

Bit of background

I ride a spez tri cross
c100 miles a week 90% on roads 10% tow paths - all reasonable condition.
I'm quite big (6'5" and 18 stone)

Other than changing my genetics anything I can do?

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
Dont know answer but be interested in this as looking at the tricross and about the same split in terms of surface.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Bite the bullet... go for better wheelset.
I wouldnt say that you are doing anything wrong to have spokes break on you.
Maybe check the wheels after every ride when cleaning for spoke tension and trueness.
The TriCross is well able to hold its own.
When the spokes were gone did you attempt at putting in new spokes yourself?
Just read again.. and you say yoou have already replaced a wheel.
To what and from..? AlexRim?

J4CKO

I have broken 3 in the last year, Cannondale Bad Boy 700, similar usage to yourself, slightly less weight at 16.5 but cant claim to be a lightweight. I think partially its the type, quality and build of the weheel, uage, weight, bad luck etc, I just have a few spares and when one goes I ride home gently and change it, bit of a faff with the disk brakes but I use it as an opportunity to do some cleaning.

I think you can mitigate it by buying some extra strong wheels or get a real expert wheel builder on the case but its just a fact of life.

OP
OP
L

Lizban

karlos_the_jackal said:
Dont know answer but be interested in this as looking at the tricross and about the same split in terms of surface.

Other than this issue I love it. Comfortable quick enough and rugged.

Done 112 miler on it in less than 6 hours so it's all good

Gromit

Über Member
My spoke tension on my new trek 7.3 is not that great, I think is down to bad wheel building, not from the LBS but the manufactorer of the bike. Its in for its first service next week so hopefully everything will get sorted out.

Tynan

Veteran
I eventually moved on to hand built wheels, I was told once that they're 20% stromger

They certainly stay truer for longer, I'm 15st

Lizban said:
What am I doing wrong?

I have broken 3-4 spokes in the last 6 months - 3 on my old wheel which I replaced and now one on my new wheel (less that 500 miles old)

Any clues as the cause?

Bit of background

I ride a spez tri cross

You're not keeping the tension tight enough. Get both wheels down to your LBS and get them trued up, they should both last you well.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
Lizban said:
What am I doing wrong?

Any clues as the cause?

Bit of background

I ride a spez tri cross

sorry to be blunt, but, most bikes are rated up to 19 stone so your allmost on the limit

515mm

Lizban said:

Take up Rugby Football. We could do with a new 2nd row at our club.

Lovely fry-up after the game and a half gallon of beer to wash it down if you've played mind.:ohmy:

515mm

Joking aside, get some handbuilts - try Pete Mattews+44 (0)151 924 9311 or Paul Hewitt +44 (0)1772 424773 It needn't be expensive. A pair of 36(or even 40) spoke wheels should sort you out, especially if you mention your genetic advantages. I'm 5'7'' btw and can only imagine what it's like to be over 6 foot tall. *sigh*

OP
OP
L

Lizban

515mm said:
Take up Rugby Football. We could do with a new 2nd row at our club.

Lovely fry-up after the game and a half gallon of beer to wash it down if you've played mind.:biggrin:

PLayed for 25 years retired due to knee problems - played 6 mainly (not big enough to play 2nd row)

515mm

6'5'' not big enough for 2nd row down your way?

Holy sh1t! I'm glad I didn't play against your lot!

(I'm the same height and weight as Shane Williams btw, but much more easily caught and not nearly as brave:blush:)

did you check those phone numbers out?

knonist

does the amount of spokes in a wheel affact the durability of it?
I saw some wheels have 1/2 the spokes then a "normal" wheel (ie, Bontrager SSR). some bike shop said they are better as they have stronger rim, but the others said it is weaker as it has less spokes.