Brompton - how quick are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red

Exploring my options
Looking and liking the idea of getting a brompton do late shifts and don't fancy leaving it outside in the small wee hours of the morning

I know with folding bikes the wheels are smaller and so won't travel as fast as your normal sized bike But how quick can you travel on one compared to a standard bike

Cheers

knonist

Red said:
Exploring my options
Looking and liking the idea of getting a brompton do late shifts and don't fancy leaving it outside in the small wee hours of the morning

I know with folding bikes the wheels are smaller and so won't travel as fast as your normal sized bike But how quick can you travel on one compared to a standard bike

Cheers

They are very fast!

They're pretty close depending on the distance and conditions. I regularly chose the Brompton for my six mile commute from a stable of six bikes just for its convenience. It added four or five minutes to my commute but then I saved the four or five minutes locking up a posh bike at my destination. Most retailers have a demo bike, give it a go.

OP
OP
R

Red

Cheers guys, i've located a local stockist who sells them will go and pay them a visit to have a go

Wickedest. Explore the gear options, I reckon the two speed is too limited, the flat bars too uncomfortable, the regular chain-ring too big, the butterfly bars too fricking ugly.

3spd, regular bars, low gear option, front bag, discrete frame colour, sorted. IMHO.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On my nine mile commute: as fast as my slicked-up MTB or singlespeed hack. Slower than my geared road bike of course.

I had a 3 speed, reduced gearing (12% reduction I think, with a smaller chainring). Perfect.

mickle said:
Wickedest. Explore the gear options, I reckon the two speed is too limited, the flat bars too uncomfortable, the regular chain-ring too big, the butterfly bars too fricking ugly.

3spd, regular bars, low gear option, front bag, discrete frame colour, sorted. IMHO.

You would say that;)

Just as I would say S2 (2 speed) all the way I am so much faster on the S2 then the M3 or the P6 the gear combos just do not work for me and the bars flex to much as well.

Red if you can try them all!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
As others have said, surprisingly fast. The small wheels mean they accelerate quickly, and 2-speed or 3-speed is enough gears for London.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
flats / descents / shallow inclines, as fast as any steel bike. uphill on long slogs, much slower, you really feel the weight. the front luggage systems do drag in the wind. but overall, i'm finding it slightly faster than my slicked out expensive mtb. but, i'm just using normal clothes and walking boots, even when i did 44 miles to / from / around hebden bridge last weekend. one thing i'd recommend if planning on longer trips - stubby bar ends on m bars. forget the flat / p bar. uncomfy flat bar and floppy p bar. i do regret not getting reduced gearing but i am saving for mountain drive.

shauncollier said:
flats / descents / shallow inclines, as fast as any steel bike. uphill on long slogs, much slower, you really feel the weight. the front luggage systems do drag in the wind. but overall, i'm finding it slightly faster than my slicked out expensive mtb. but, i'm just using normal clothes and walking boots, even when i did 44 miles to / from / around hebden bridge last weekend. one thing i'd recommend if planning on longer trips - stubby bar ends on m bars. forget the flat / p bar. uncomfy flat bar and floppy p bar. i do regret not getting reduced gearing but i am saving for mountain drive.

My nomination for post of the month.

Crankarm

Guru
Go for the 6 spd std gearing with front touring pannier but without rear rack (too heavy and too ugly). You will get up most mountain cols with it and steam down the other side. Ditch the Brompton pedals and fit SPDs. Get the Kevlar tyres. Mine have never punctured in 7 years of ownership. As already stated fit small stubby bar ends such as Titec £11.99 or cheaper. Remove the inner brake cables and thoroughly grease, re-fit and marvel at how much better the brakes are. Don't bother with the Brompton bike bag - expensive and you never use it. You will need the Brompton penta clip £18 to fit an after market saddle although I find the std one not too bad. Finally DO NOT LET IT OUT OF YOUR SITE AS THEY ARE VERY NICKABLE AND CERTAINLY DO NOT LOCK IT UP ANYWHERE EVEN WITH A DECENT D-LOCK AS WHEN YOU COME BACK IT WILL BE GONE. My first L6 was pinched on account of me being refused entry to a building even with it folded up. I had to lock it up outside to an Oxford hoop. When I returned to collect it 2.5 hrs later it had gone ;). As I say even with a decent D-lock which I used through the frame and wheels they still go walkies.

Did I get everything in?

jimboalee

Bromptons are the same as any other bike. Pedals, wheels, handlebars etc.
They are as fast as they are geared and your legs are powerful. Just because they can be folded up, doesn't mean they feel like they have a lead weight hanging off the back.

But read.....

The P6R-X is 11.3 kg, or 25lb. Add on another 2lb for kit and it is 27lb to heave along. The gearing should have a 37" in there somewhere. If it hasn't, forget it. Fortunately, the P6R-X has a range of 33 – 99 inches, so it’s a runner up a 12% gradient.

The S2L is 10.7 kg. It should have a 39" gear. It has a 56 and 74. It will feel like Starley's Rover up any hill. As one member has commented, it needs a smaller chainring.

The 3 speed version has 48 – 85 inch range. That also needs a smaller ring.

The single speed has 74",,, ????? I didn't know there was a 'Track' Brompton.

asterix

Comrade Member
shauncollier said:
flats / descents / shallow inclines, as fast as any steel bike. .

Slight pinch of salt needed there. I have 2 Brommies, no way on this earth are they as fast as my Roberts compact audax. Nevertheless, they are surprisingly quick and good fun in the city.

trsleigh

Crankarm said:
Finally DO NOT LET IT OUT OF YOUR SITE AS THEY ARE VERY NICKABLE AND CERTAINLY DO NOT LOCK IT UP ANYWHERE EVEN WITH A DECENT D-LOCK AS WHEN YOU COME BACK IT WILL BE GONE. My first L6 was pinched on account of me being refused entry to a building even with it folded up. I had to lock it up outside to an Oxford hoop. When I returned to collect it 2.5 hrs later it had gone ;). As I say even with a decent D-lock which I used through the frame and wheels they still go walkies.

Just curious, where was this? Presumably it was somewhere where you had no choice about having to go in. My only folded Brompton refusal has been a pub in Brentford, simply resolved by going to next pub in street.
I also carry a black bin liner in the frame tube so I could, if necessary, wrap it up, but so far have never needed to try that approach. ( Apart from the pub where it was much simpler to say stuff this.)

Top Bottom