Brompton main hinge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

The main hinge on my Brompton is showing signs of wear. The bike is over 8 years old and is used everyday so it has had a fair bit of use.
My dealer says that it has to go back to the factory at a cost of well over £100 but, being a cheapskate, I would like to tackle the job myself.

Does anyone know if it can be done and, if so, any tips?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ring up the factory and ask the question for yourself. You may get a better result

Apparently you need special tools to do this properly; which is why it's a back-to-factory type job.
There is a group on Yahoo which specifically tackles Bromptons, I'm sure this question has come up recently - it's called BromptonTalk, have a look (you need to join to see posts).

Brommyboy

Über Member
The cost your dealer quoted also includes carriage both ways. Maybe the factory will charge less if it is delivered to them?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
The main hinge on my Brompton is showing signs of wear. The bike is over 8 years old and is used everyday so it has had a fair bit of use.
My dealer says that it has to go back to the factory at a cost of well over £100 but, being a cheapskate, I would like to tackle the job myself.

Does anyone know if it can be done and, if so, any tips?

I would think it can be done , mainly because SJS sell the spares for it. I would also imagine that it would need a press and a reamer.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-rear-hinge-bush-kit-inc-spindle-tools-etc-qrhbkit-prod10862/

OP
OP
Recycler

Recycler

I would think it can be done , mainly because SJS sell the spares for it. I would also imagine that it would need a press and a reamer.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-rear-hinge-bush-kit-inc-spindle-tools-etc-qrhbkit-prod10862/

Thanks for that, but I've already got that kit which is for the swinging arm at the rear.
Perhpas I wasn't clear in my initial posting. By "main hinge", I meant the one on the "down tube" which folds the whole bike in half.
Thanks for the input though.

I'll have a look at BromptonTalk.

thanks everyone.

Top Bottom