What's your opinion of Bromptons

• Love 'em

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't like 'em

• Have reservations

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Surprisingly, there are people about, even among those that have tried them, who don't like Bromptons. Dellzeqq and Hilldodger to name but two. What's the consensus then?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
what about a 'not fussed either way' button

ChrisKH

Guru
For what they're made for; short commutes & folding for travel & storage. Fab a dab a doo. Most recently I have also found that because they are so easy to adjust, they also make an ideal bike for kids. My nine year old won't give me mine back.

Will1985

Über Member
I think they are good - I slapped some SPDs and tightened the suspension on dellzeqq's steed and the ride was more to my liking.

Looking around at some examples at the weekend, there are plenty of ways to make a Brompton even lighter and faster. Some narrower slicks would have been good.
Is it possible to swap an S-type steerer for a presumably shorter M-type one? Slap on some tribars and I wonder what the national 10 mile TT record is for a Brompton...

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
ianrauk said:
what about a 'not fussed either way' button

I was going to include a 'no opinion' option, but then I thought if you didn't have an opinion, why bother voting in the poll. Unfortunately I can't add an extra option to the poll now.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Will1985 said:
I think they are good - I slapped some SPDs and tightened the suspension on dellzeqq's steed and the ride was more to my liking.

Looking around at some examples at the weekend, there are plenty of ways to make a Brompton even lighter and faster. Some narrower slicks would have been good.
Is it possible to swap an S-type steerer for a presumably shorter M-type one? Slap on some tribars and I wonder what the national 10 mile TT record is for a Brompton...

I assume that means you went to the World Brompton Championship. I'm not sure the bike would fold properly if you put tribars on.

Will1985

Über Member
Who said anything about needing to fold....I'm talking about using a Brompton in a CTT event!

Not sure why anybody would want tribars at BWC - it was hard enough trying to stay on them during the morning time trial with the inclines and sharp corners.

Cranky

Love 'em! A superb design with few compromises. For certain journeys they are the King of Bikes.

I was attending a course through the winter which involved a tricky commute at an awkward time. It would have been nigh impossible without the prowess of the Brommie.

mark i

For multi modal commuting with shortish cycles at each end they are not bad. That said mine had a sturmey hub failure at 3 weeks! It has since had a hub rebuild at around 9 months. The chrome on the headset is rusting and the front light bracket failed through fatigue. To be clear the bike git used twice a day (to and from work with a cycle at each end). At home the bike lived in the garage and at work under my desk, so the only time it had bad weather was when it was being used. Great concept, it does fold well, some of the components were less reliable than they should be. The LBS that sold it to me were poor in their service once the bike was mine, so we had a big argument about the second hub rebuild.....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yellow Fang said:
I was going to include a 'no opinion' option, but then I thought if you didn't have an opinion, why bother voting in the poll. Unfortunately I can't add an extra option to the poll now.

One of the Mods can do it for you, if you like?

Bokonon

Über Member
I have a Brompton. It is compromised, but that is the nature of a folding bike. For what I use it for (short cycle - train - short cycle) I think it is as good as I could get for the budget I set for it. It has loads of faults and I am slowly working on sorting some of them without spending too much money, but I realised the faults existed before I bought the thing so I can't complain too much.

trsleigh

Another Brompton fan. Brilliant bike for London for several reasons.
1. Because of the number of low life parasitic theiving bastard contemptable scum you do not need to risk leaving your bike on the street, just take it with you.
2. If you get a puncture on a really foul mancky commute, rather than faff around mending the puncture in the rain, sleet or snow just fold it and take a bus or tube. Why do I never get punctures on lovely sunny mornings when it would be a pleasure to find a bench and repair it in the sun?
3. Front pannier system, just so convenient.
4. As it's an iconic London design SWMBO allows me to keep my two in the hall next to the front door.
5. Myself and three or four chums are cyling down to Brighton later this month, so less hassle on train back. although obviously the truly keen would cycle the return trip as well.
6. This line delibrately left blank for other reasons....

Top Bottom