Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I was either going to go down the route of a full strip and rebuild or just make do and mend. The make do and mend option has worked far better than I anticipated, I do need to replace the crankset and chain but it rides OK, so for the time being I’m going to use it as a pub bike and probably fiddle and improve it a bit at a time, it’s easy to get carried away with these and start blowing a fortune.

But I’m pleased with it, cheap Bromptons are hard to find and this one is pretty good.

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
hi looking at your last picture of your handlebars ,I may well be wrong but they look like the older type which require a crossbar brace. You can tell the difference because the newer stronger ones go straight up and older weaker ones have a slight bellying out at the bottom before the upward sweep .wish I knew how to send you a picture on page 162 of david henshaws Brompton bicycle book to illustrate the point .they may need replacing if I am right .sure hope I can be proven wrong by others who read this and know better than me .Love your project and wish you well

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
You can use most any 22.2 mtn bike or flat bar. Risers are also popular if you don't like the appearance of the braced m bar.

Thanks, I’ve got a spare set of flat bars I might consider swapping them over.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think the bars are the only bits I've got left but will have a look. They're still on the bike at the moment but I'll be getting it back within the next week or so :okay:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I bought a few small bits yesterday, new front and rear mudflaps, the rear especially will tidy up the scruffy mudguard.

One very strange feature of these early Brompton’s is that the rear triangle doesn’t lock in place which means that as soon as the bike is picked up it tries to fold, really annoying and a pain having to use a cable tie when the bike is on a work stand.

Brompton sell a retro fit solution and I’ve picked a new one up off eBay for half price 👍

477B5B36-832D-4833-AECF-D20B563CBEE5.jpeg

I’ve also found a combined light/reflector in my box of bits which will fit perfectly on the rear rack.

I’m still undecided if I want to fit the 50T chain wheel I bought for £15, as it means fitting a new chain, the current chain is in nice condition and doesn’t look that old, so I might add it to my box of spares and try and source a correct 46T crankset instead.

If anyone can make use of the 50T crankset let me know, happy to sell it for what I paid for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’ve also done some research and my bike is a pre 2005 T3 model so 3 speed with higher bars, mudguards, rack and dynamo lights (removed)

Looking at the frame number it dates from 2001 (19/05/20 edit it's a mark 2 Brompton from 1994/5 thanks @berlinonaut)

This below details the changes for the 2005 model year.

If you had bought it new and looked after it you would have suffered virtually zero depreciation!

B088BD82-18D8-4B82-B233-59AEB1492247.jpeg

I’ll get my anorak 😂

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
You might want to hang tight on changing the chainrings until you try out the resulting gearing. When I cut chains to fit I save the extra bits so it's easy to lengthen the chain. Looks like you have a non cartridge bottom bracket. My Brompton when new had a FAG cartridge BB made of plastic and the crankarms were an ISO taper. I got rid of that and went with a Shimano with a JIS taper and the ISO crankarms worked fine BTW. I now have a 110 crank arm, but put the old Brompton one on another bike with a JIS BB and it continues to work just fine.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Fitted the new back light and just had a little cheeky 3 mile run around the block, they are a giggle to ride! even though the front chainset needs replacing, the chain stayed on and it was all surprisingly smooth to ride and both brakes are fine, head and BB bearings are tight so mechanically it seems to have been well maintained.

Took a while to get used to the Sturmey Archer 3 speed (it’s been a while, my Raleigh hustler back around 1977 was the last bike I rode with a SA 3 speed hub) but once you get used to changing gear whilst freewheeling it works a treat. The bike is perfectly useable as it is which I’m really pleased about as I’ve not invested much in it. Not sure about the handlebars, they feel fragile and far too narrow so I think a swap would be sensible.

The gearing is fine for me, nice and relaxed, so I think I’ll keep a look out for a 46T replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom