Brompton Voluntary Recall Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t have thought a company like Brompton would leave you in the lurch @oldwheels . Where are you Outer Hebrides? Glad you’re sorted.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I just put my serial number in and though it falls between the two numbers given, it doesn't need to be booked in.

GavD

Hey everyone,

I'm a journalism student from City University, London writing a piece about the Brompton recall.

We're looking who could share their two cents on the recall, and how they think Brompton is handling the process so far.

A few people in this thread have mentioned injuries they've sustained because of the fault, and others have talked about the slowness of the servicing. We'd love to hear from you guys, or anyone who has something to offer. Doesn't have to be negative, positive feedback is more than welcome also.

Please feel free to contact me via DM if you'd like to participate.

Have you published the piece @robbieharb ? I'd be interested to read it or, at least, get an idea of your conclusions.

Last edited:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
So last year when this was first raised on here, I contacted Brompton, supplied the information required and received an email saying my bike was fine and was not one of the recall models. Yesterday I received another email inviting me to supply the details again, which I did and now I have an email telling me I need to replace the bottom bracket etc etc. The trouble is I have the bike over sat it's new home in Spain and the nearest agent/dealer is over 100kms away, which is a pain in the butt. I'm now considering humping it back to the UK but that will be at a cost to me for their mistake or I might just leave it. Is it really necessary to have done?

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
So last year when this was first raised on here, I contacted Brompton, supplied the information required and received an email saying my bike was fine and was not one of the recall models. Yesterday I received another email inviting me to supply the details again, which I did and now I have an email telling me I need to replace the bottom bracket etc etc. The trouble is I have the bike over sat it's new home in Spain and the nearest agent/dealer is over 100kms away, which is a pain in the butt. I'm now considering humping it back to the UK but that will be at a cost to me for their mistake or I might just leave it. Is it really necessary to have done?

Personally I wouldn’t want to risk riding the existing BB if it’s potentially going to fail in use.

Can you remove the existing BB yourself, post it to Brompton and get a new one posted back? Or get any LBS near you in Spain to remove it? Not ideal, but not a big job and wouldn’t cost much I suspect.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Update on previous post.
Last year when I got back from holiday I filled out the online form and sent it in. I was told by Brompton in an email my bike was not part of the recall, which I thought was unusual but I was sure Brompton would know if anyone would. This year I loaded the bike into the car and brought it to it's new home, my house in Spain. While here, I received another email as a reminder to check if the bike was to be recalled. I filled the form in again and to my disbelief it was now part of the recall. The difficulty now is, my nearest Brompton dealer is over 100km away in Malaga, which will now cost me in time and money, where as in Chichester, nada. I put this to Brompton but they said it was down to me to get the bike to Malaga and back. I offered to take the bike back with me if they covered the cost of the extra baggage to get it back but the only other offer was, they will send the part to me for a lbs to fit at my expense. I don't rate this customer service, I have to say. If they had of got it right in the first place fine but this way I am paying for their mistakes.

Sorry for repeated info

chriscross1966

Über Member
Update on previous post.
Last year when I got back from holiday I filled out the online form and sent it in. I was told by Brompton in an email my bike was not part of the recall, which I thought was unusual but I was sure Brompton would know if anyone would. This year I loaded the bike into the car and brought it to it's new home, my house in Spain. While here, I received another email as a reminder to check if the bike was to be recalled. I filled the form in again and to my disbelief it was now part of the recall. The difficulty now is, my nearest Brompton dealer is over 100km away in Malaga, which will now cost me in time and money, where as in Chichester, nada. I put this to Brompton but they said it was down to me to get the bike to Malaga and back. I offered to take the bike back with me if they covered the cost of the extra baggage to get it back but the only other offer was, they will send the part to me for a lbs to fit at my expense. I don't rate this customer service, I have to say. If they had of got it right in the first place fine but this way I am paying for their mistakes.

Sorry for repeated info

They haven't made a mistake, they're offering to replace a part that is considered up to industry standards with something better, freely fitted by one of their agents or they will send you the replacement component to fit yourself. It's a cartridge bottom bracket, they're pretty simple to swap out.

Top Bottom