Brooks saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Mine's creaking a lot. I'm not sure whether it's the leather, the rails or something else. I used to have another Brooks B17 and that used to creak too. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I have done something to the leather or something?

Tighten the saddle up using the nut under the nose, and get some Proofide on it.

Brock

Often Brooks saddles give a little creak from the tension adjustment gubbins in the nose, especially when they're new in my experience. A drop of 3in1 or grease in there seems to sort it out pretty quickly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rhythm Thief said:
Proofide, yes. But don't touch the nut under the nose! Seriously, you'll knacker your saddle.
AGREED!

But as mentioned the creaking comes from around the tensioning system...get some proofhide in there and it all quietens down. It's part of the art of keeping a Brooks saddle... treated like pets, they'll be faithful companions for years to come. :wacko:

Fab Foodie said:
AGREED!

But as mentioned the creaking comes from around the tensioning system...get some proofhide in there and it all quietens down. It's part of the art of keeping a Brooks saddle... treated like pets, they'll be faithful companions for years to come. ;)

My understanding is that the saddle stretches over the years and the nut is especially built in to tighten them up.

Why are you saying differently? What's your reasoning?

Chris James

Über Member
I have had mine for 3 or 4 years, never touched the bolt. The saddle is dimpled but not sagging.

I think the reasoning is that the more you adjust the bolt the more you stretch the leather resulting in shorter life of the saddle. The adjuster is only to rescue a badly sagging saddle and not for routine cranking.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chris James said:
I have had mine for 3 or 4 years, never touched the bolt. The saddle is dimpled but not sagging.

I think the reasoning is that the more you adjust the bolt the more you stretch the leather resulting in shorter life of the saddle. The adjuster is only to rescue a badly sagging saddle and not for routine cranking.

I'd go with this, I've bnever tightened the bolt and my oldest is 20 years old, but I have heard some bad tales about people who have tightened their saddles.

I don't get too attached to Proofhide either,my 20 year-old has had neatsfoot oil, dubbin, Hydrolan all used on it and it works fine. Just don't overdo it. Once maybe twice a year max.

campagman

Guru
I did tighten my colt saddle after 4/5 yrs but it did not need much and I do appreciate that too much tightening can cause problems. My saddle was more comfortable afterwards.

Top Bottom