Brooks Saddles - any bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Hi all

Well after a winter of hibernation and zero riding the bikes were serviced last weekend and are ready to go. At the end of last year I was struggling a bit with the saddles on both my bikes (Specialized Sirrus Elite and a Scott Sportster).

I have read a lot ot comments about Brooks saddles being a great option if you give them enough time and use them regularly but am not sure whether they are typically for road bikes or would they be appropriate for a hybrid or something like the Sirrus?

Thanks - it's good to be back (in the saddle) :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you own a black and white TV? if yes the a Brookes should suit you.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are racing models such as the Swift or Swallow, and touring models like the B17 wide and some with springs (off-road or tandem stoker). In between are the Pro and Colt. Most are available with titanium rails. For most of us who spend a long time on the bike, they're still the most comfortable.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ian H I dispute the line, I tried and tried and like many found them uncomfortable, hence the reason no Pro that I know of uses one.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brooks also for me for long distance comfort, and yes suitable for any bike as there are many to choose from. A B17 would fit the bill for a Hybrid. The downside is the extra weight and having to cover-em with a placky bag when leaving it out in the rain.
They last forever too with a tiny bit of TLC.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thanks. I was thinkin more of a Swift for one or both as they look a bit more stealthy and unobtrusive than the B17?

Camrider

This has little to do with progress, for many of us they provide a comfortable ride regardless of how many hours we spend in the saddle. If something works well it don't matter how old the technology its still worth using.

simon.r

Person
Ian H I dispute the line, I tried and tried and like many found them uncomfortable, hence the reason no Pro that I know of uses one.

I accept that not everyone gets on with them, but I suspect the reason they're not used by any Pros has more to do with sponsorship deals than anything else. And possibly weight - they're far from the lightest saddles available.

For the OP - I use a Swift and love it. (Actually I use several:smile:) As I posted recently, if you do buy one and don't like it you'll be able to sell it for not much less than you paid for it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Camrider is that not at the risk of finding something better.

Ian H " they're still the most comfortable " was the line I disputed.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Great that's the kind of help I was after. Final question is - is the difference between the Swift Chrome and the Swift Titanium worth it? I don't race or compete and am a casual cyclist for fitness and leisure.

sidevalve

Über Member
Brooks saddles haven't really changed for well over 50 years but the human bum hasn't changed for about half a million, if it aint broke don't fix it.

simon.r

Person
A pair of swifts spotted a moment ago in my hallway^_^

24l3ejl.jpg

Top Bottom