Brooks Saddles In The Rain - Cover Needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dansenior

Ive got a standard B17 Brooks saddle, new one, fitted on a Dawes Galaxy, as its raining a lot of late, is it a problem to use the bike in the rain, I have got full SKS mudguards fitted, and have a large bottom :tongue: , is it worth putting a carrier bag on it or will it be fine without (the saddle not the bottom)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think you should be ok without, assuming you mean when riding. it's worth rubbing some proofride into the bottom of the saddle, and not rubbing it right in, if you see what i mean.

did you not get a little foldaway cover with yours?

OP
OP
D

dansenior

no foldaway cover, no, i bought mine from ebay though, so probably wasnt as new as it was advertised as been, it was supplied in a toy train set box!!! which as i recall isnt a marketing ploy by brooks.

ill try some neatsfoot oil underneath, it seems to be that if the rain will ruin it, its going to be from underneath from what ive read.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
alecs advice is good. If you've mudguards then that's 90% of the problem solved.
Otherwise if you have to leave the biked parked-up in the rain, just cover with a tesco bag (Which can be suffed under the saddle when not used or in a tool pack etc.
Brooks saddles are pretty tough and durable and with a little TLC will outlast all others (and be a very good friend to boot).

Manonabike

Über Member
dansenior said:
ill try some neatsfoot oil underneath, it seems to be that if the rain will ruin it, its going to be from underneath from what ive read.

Just don't over do it as leather needs to breathe otherwise your seat will rotten from the inside.

Contrary to popular believe, wax is a leather killer.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I bought a Brooks recently for use in a tour where it got drenched in a day of constant rain and it consequently changed shape entirely. I am not impressed with a saddle that is useless for touring. I had proofed it as per instructions too.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I never had a difficulty with rain and my Brooks saddle because when cycling in the rain your bum obviously keeps it dry. When parking it in the rain I used to whip out a plastic bag and secure it on the saddle with an elastic band. That said, a purpose built waterproof elasticated saddle cover would probably be better and I'm sure it could be permanently secured under the saddle on the saddle rails.

ASC1951

Guru
dansenior said:
I'll try some neatsfoot oil underneath
No no no! I know that this was suggested by ancient Brooks users, but that was in the days when their leather was thicker and harder than it is now. Neatsfoot oil is for softening leather, not waterproofing it, and you risk ruining the saddle without making it any more waterproof.

Rich P has had a bad experience with his Brooks in the wet, despite following all their rules, but the rest of us seem to have avoided it with ours. I just put the recommended smear of Proofide on top and below when it was new and can honestly say I have never had a problem with it. I don't use mudguards and I don't cover the top when it is parked, although in fairness I don't do as much riding in the wet as I would if I commuted on it.

Just lay off that neatsfoot oil, eh? If you have already bought the bottle, try it with voddy.

Joe

Über Member
Definitely cover it when left out in the rain, but if you're riding and have full length mudguards it will be fine.
Don't get the Brooks saddle cover though, it's not waterproof:angry:

bonj2

My brooks' do get wet. I do proofide them regularly, including the underside, and cover them when i can, but there's times when it's not possible.
They're fine - dont' seem to have suffered any adverse affects. But as richp alludes to, if they do, then they're not really much good to me - since rain is a fact of life, so things either need to be able to cope with wet weather anyway or prescribe an adequate care regime that enables them to do so.

Davidc

Guru
I collect the shower caps supplied in hotel room bathrooms (I've also seen them in shops but that involves money). They are ideal for the job when the bike's parked.

Agree with Bonj - proofide top and bottom. I do it once a month for the first 6 months and then spring and autumn.

I don't use the bike in the wet like I did once so the latest Brooks is getting it easy, but I've never had a problem, let alone like rich p's. Did you complain to Brooks about it?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Davidc said:
I collect the shower caps supplied in hotel room bathrooms (I've also seen them in shops but that involves money). They are ideal for the job when the bike's parked.

Agree with Bonj - proofide top and bottom. I do it once a month for the first 6 months and then spring and autumn.

I don't use the bike in the wet like I did once so the latest Brooks is getting it easy, but I've never had a problem, let alone like rich p's. Did you complain to Brooks about it?

No I didn't but since buying it I've read that they're no good in the rain. Why else would Brooks make a rain cover?
I might take a picture of the soggy, waste-of-money but I think I'll be going back to synthetic. I only bought it because I thought it looked nice!

I did wonder about stuffing it with newspaper after soaking it to restore it's shape and giving it another go but I don't really want to do the plastic bag thing on tour.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I thought about it but is it worth anything to anyone? I don't think I can be arsed to pack and post it for a few quid. I'd hate to think what MacB's pigeon egg-sized saddle sores would do to itxx(:biggrin:

Top Bottom