Brooks saddles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Proving myself to be a hypocrit after my recent 'over priced gear' rant... I'm thinking of buying a Brooks saddle. Not for me, but for a friend who's turning 40 soon (a saddle to last the next 40 years?)

I'm thinking about getting one with the springs at the back, but him being approx 14stone, I'm not sure if the sprung version will take it!

Has anybody had any experience with the sprung brooks saddles under the weight of a hefty rear? Or should I get one without springs instead?

TrevorM

Don't know about the sprung Brooks but I am almost 15 stone and use a Brooks B17 and it is fine. Not everyone likes a sprung saddle. What's he using now?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Don't know about the sprung Brooks but I am almost 15 stone and use a Brooks B17 and it is fine. Not everyone likes a sprung saddle. What's he using now?

He's using the saddle which came with his bike, so it'll be half decent, but defo not sprung. That's my other problem, seeing as it's supposed to be a surprise, I can't really ask him what he'd prefer, the sprung ones do have a bit more pazzaz and I assume he'll apreaciate the suspension. I know Brooks are very good if something breaks, I'm just reluctant incase it does break.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If you want to stay friends with him I wouldn’t get a Brooks saddle for him, loads of people get on all right with them straight out of the box, others just find them a pain in the arse, I have one and it took well over 2000 miles until it was bearable for a full days ride so be warned

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Brooks are well made so the Sprung saddle should be durable. But then again, a standard B17 is also very comfy and without the possibility of the springs going wrong.

I would err towards the standard B17 as it's the saddle that most people will ever need.

Agree with numbnuts about getting on with them. I've swapped my comfy factory fitted Bontrager saddle for a Brooks and found the Brooks a step backward. Done about 400 miles and only now is it beginning to feel tolerable. Am sure if will get comfy at some point, but it's a hefty price to pay.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated... I might have to go back to the drawing board... what to buy the person who has everything but a Brooks saddle? :blush:

Manonabike

Über Member
If you want to stay friends with him I wouldn’t get a Brooks saddle for him, loads of people get on all right with them straight out of the box, others just find them a pain in the arse, I have one and it took well over 2000 miles until it was bearable for a full days ride so be warned

A rather exagerated comment!!!

A B17 can be comfortable out of the box or 500 mls max - If not happy with it after that then perhaps he should consider a different saddle.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
You don't mention what kind of bike he is riding, or the riding position. I would think that many would prefer the B17 on a drop-bar bike, and the B-67 (sprung) for an upright riding positon. The B-67, in addition to being sprung, is a wider saddle, for the more upright position. I weigh over 14 stone and have been riding a B-67 for several years. I think it's a great saddle.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Yes I doubt he'd fall out with me for buying him the wrong saddle!

Thanks for your points Threefingerjoe... don't know the make of bike but it's an upright riding position.

I think i will buy him a sprung one now! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom