B'twin Tilt 940 - there are none, now going for a Brompton. I am far too excited about it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
First commute today on the nobber bike, and I must have looked the part as several people looked in my direction and mouthed "t*sser" as I glided past them.

It’s a common reaction (although I guess less so in that London where Bromptons are relatively common).

Along with “your bike’s only got one wheel” (when in the park position), “does it fit in the bag on the front?” and, from the local yoofs, “what the flip is that?”

And the occasional request to demonstrate how it folds, almost always followed by “how much did it cost?”, almost always followed by a sharp intake of breath and the questioner walking off.

Enjoy.

First commute today on the nobber bike, and I must have looked the part as several people looked in my direction and mouthed "t*sser" as I glided past them.
Several more you mean rather than the usual number?

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
It’s a common reaction (although I guess less so in that London where Bromptons are relatively common).

Along with “your bike’s only got one wheel” (when in the park position), “does it fit in the bag on the front?” and, from the local yoofs, “what the flip is that?”

And the occasional request to demonstrate how it folds, almost always followed by “how much did it cost?”, almost always followed by a sharp intake of breath and the questioner walking off.

Enjoy.
I was out at lunchtime and headed into town, a few people gasped in wonderment as I sailed past, and a few stopped to speak as I was folding/unfolding the bike and we had a chat about how much of a tosser I was and what a nobber I looked. All good.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Well, there's expensive and then there's yours...

Most people seem to think that they would/should cost around £200.

I guess that's because they view bikes as a leisure/hobby sort of thing, and one that is unimportant to them too.... to me it's my primary means of getting to work, I don't think 3.5k is an unreasonable price to pay for something I intend getting at least a decade of service out of in that role...

simon.r

Person
I guess that's because they view bikes as a leisure/hobby sort of thing, and one that is unimportant to them too.... to me it's my primary means of getting to work, I don't think 3.5k is an unreasonable price to pay for something I intend getting at least a decade of service out of in that role...

You’re right. £350 a year certainly pales into insignificance compared to the cost of running a car.

When friends ask me what my bikes cost, a back of a fag packet calculation says that if I had to replace all of them I’d be looking at about £9k (bear in mind they’ve been bought over many years, as and when funds allow and most have been built up by me, using parts bought on special offer).

This figure is met with astonishment, but as a middle aged man, who’s been in a reasonably well paid job for decades, the same friends would think nothing of it if I had, say, an old MG sports car in the garage that cost me £9k and goodness knows how much to tax / insure and maintain every year.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
I don't want to start another thread so hopefully I'll get an answer here. I'm totally loving my Brompton, haven't ridden so much and often for years. Until today I have mostly been in the same gear as fairly flat or short hills.

Today I went to engage the gears and worked down 1,2 3 but then did not seem to notice any change when I went to engage left hand shifter. I know that I need to not pedal when going from 1,2,3; is there something else I need to know about???

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unless it's radically different to other 3speeds, keep pedalling but ease off as there's a brief moment when the driver's not connected to anything. Not the old pre-1990s neutral but still a shift.

But not pedalling should still work for most gear shifts, so is the cable connected correctly? Any pictures? Also, if it's new, can you ask the shop or take it in? I forget if the eventual shop was local.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The LH SHIFTER is the rear 2 speed deraillieur and shoukd operate in any one of the hub’s 3 speeds. It functions by sliding or pushing the top jockey wheel between the 2 cogs using a mechanism on the chain stay. If the jockey is sitting in the mechanism And all moves relatively freely, I’d suggest a bit of cable tension adjustment is all that’s required.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some Bromptons have a lightweight plastic sleeve on the chain stay which can foul the two-speed shifter cable.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Unless it's radically different to other 3speeds, keep pedalling but ease off as there's a brief moment when the driver's not connected to anything. Not the old pre-1990s neutral but still a shift.

But not pedalling should still work for most gear shifts, so is the cable connected correctly? Any pictures? Also, if it's new, can you ask the shop or take it in? I forget if the eventual shop was local.
Due in for a 6 week service soon, although not sure when I can fit it in.

The LH SHIFTER is the rear 2 speed deraillieur and shoukd operate in any one of the hub’s 3 speeds. It functions by sliding or pushing the top jockey wheel between the 2 cogs using a mechanism on the chain stay. If the jockey is sitting in the mechanism And all moves relatively freely, I’d suggest a bit of cable tension adjustment is all that’s required.
Thanks FF, I'll give that a go

Top Bottom