Budget HRM?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Hi, have been looking at budget HRMs and not sure of what to buy. Had a look at the review of them in C+ but they seem to prefer higher cost ones.
The other thing is me and electronics tend not to do well together - my eliptical trainer will not give me a reading anywhere near accurate (shows 88bpm when it's more like 160! :o) and mobile phones intermittantly don't ring/vibrate so I'm not sure if an HRM would work and give consistent and accurate results hence the reason for trying a low budget model. So any recommendations for this weirdo? :biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
I got one of these from Tesco to wear when swimming and haven't had any problems with it. While I was looking for the link I noticed they now do this for under a tenner.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I had a Polar FS1 which was very good. But non-replaceable batteries in replacement transmitter belt, and new belt was nearly same cost as whole new watch+belt.
Bought a cheaper one from another manufacturer, more features than the Polar, but screen so cluttered it was no use whilst exercising.

Now I just don't bother.

But if you really want one, the Argos deal on the Polar is good value. Just wish the belts on their lower models had replaceable batteries, like their more expensive ones do.

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Thanks for the info guys will have a wee think and see what I'll do from there. For the time being I'm just doing interval training on my eliptical trainer and using the distance and calorie counters as a measure of improvement (the cal counter is not dependant on how hard you make it!) It also has a cadence measurement.
My current program is 10 mins warm-up gradually increasing intensity (level 2-4) then 12 mins hard (level 5 for me) min cadence 67 (trying for 70 as much as possible though), easy for 6 mins (level 2 -4) then 12 mins hard again level 5 then 5 mins cool down. Want to build to 2 x 20mins hard then will build on the intensity too. This along with a couple of rides, one long and steady the other shorter and harder will hopefully see some good improvements by May for Etape Caledonia :biggrin:)

Top Bottom