Budget of £500 ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

Got a budget of around £500 ish, lookng for a road bike for everyday use, good on hills. Any suggestions what i should be looking at. I went to my local LBS and the guy was keen on the Raleigh Airlite range. Are these any good??

fungus

Veteran
I can't really comment on the Raleigh airlite range but you want to be looking at something with a good frame & fork that's upgradeable in the future. Spesh Allez, Giant Defy old with carbon forks if poss. I'll have a look tomorrow
thumbsup.png

DaveyB1981

I can't really comment on the Raleigh airlite range but you want to be looking at something with a good frame & fork that's upgradeable in the future. Spesh Allez, Giant Defy old with carbon forks if poss. I'll have a look tomorrow
thumbsup.png

+1 on the Defy. I love my (last years) 3.5 and would heartily recommend one. Last years will be well within budget and should still be a few about. I also liked the Allez, but it just didn't fit right. My advice, as always, is go and try some out.

Dave

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You may still get a 2010 Cannondale Caad 8 for that. A very well respected frame with good bits on it.

flying start

Veteran
I've been looking on the net and there's a web site called Paul cycles they have the cannondale cad 8 for £499 delivered!!

OP
OP
Moby Jones

Moby Jones

If i buy a bike off the net do you think my lbs would service it for me or would i have to take it back to where i got it. The lbs only stocks claudbutler and raleigh bikes, would that be a problem??? I don't think it would be just want to check on here

ramses

I've been looking on the net and there's a web site called Paul cycles they have the cannondale cad 8 for £499 delivered!!

I've just bought a 2011 CAAD 8 and can recommend the frame. I bought this after a good long conversation in my lbs, based around the budget I had.
Pays to get a good frame with decent components. But components can be updated!!
biggrin.gif

I'm sure your lbs would not turn down business to service your bike for you, regardless of where you purchase it.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Three of us at work, and one of my mates, have all bought bikes from Paul's Cycles, it's not far from us so we picked them up.

All very happy with the purchases, but can't comment on mail order.

Cannondale does sound nice though :thumbsup:

flying start

Veteran
I've also seen the trek 1.2 in the sales look at the giant not sure on the model? Also cannondale caad8 and Merida also not sure on that model!!
Bordman bikes seem to have a lot of speck for the money you pay but if you do go to halfords take it to your lbs for them to set it up right as halfords don't have a clue!!

Your lbs will not turn you a way as there happy to help even if you buy one off the net!!

Top Bottom