Building a commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
I have the opportunity to get hold of an old J.F.Wilson road bike frame. I am told that the forks a front wheel are servicable, the rear hub is OK but I would need to build a wheel around that (a 40 spoke rim is needed). My question to all learned folk on here is what are the ideal components for the rest of the machine. My commute is 13 miles of hilly, poorly surfaced rural roads in West Oxfordshire. At the moment I ride a Giant Cypress with suspension forks and 700Cx28 tyres.

Campag or Shimano?
Which bottom bracket?
Type and manufacturer of brakes?
Transmission?
Saddle?
Handlebars?

It may take some time to save up for the components and build but I think I could end up with a nice road machine here.

Should I post this in Knowhow as well?

hackbike 6

I'd love to build a bike like Graham Obree did.

also yes post in knowhow.

liambauckham

Über Member
i wouldnt mind building up a bike from sh*tty old parts as im tight. something you could strap some bags to and doesnt matter if it gets beat up. ive got a frame already from an old MTB i had just need to get some bits and bobs for it

hackbike 6

liambauckham said:
i wouldnt mind building up a bike from sh*tty old parts as im tight. something you could strap some bags to and doesnt matter if it gets beat up. ive got a frame already from an old MTB i had just need to get some bits and bobs for it

Have you got a spare washing machine?:tongue:

Top Bottom