Building a rat bike BUILT - photos as the end :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have the opportunity to get hold of a carrera tdf frame for £10 , assuming its ok i was thinking of making a rat bike for commuting as although my old boardman is 7 years old i still think its too nice for winter commuting .
Options are .
return the dropway to flat bar as i have the shifters and bars still and use the drops+ bar end shifters on the tdf frame , cheap way to do it as apart from chainset i pretty much have everything in my parts bin

fork out on replacement shifters for a complete set up , which would be nice but not practical money wise .I would happily run 8 speed 11- 28 with maybe a 48 front ring to give me the range i need for commuting .

Sounds like a plan, if the TdF frame is good.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A rat bike should be done as cheap as humanly possible, and ideally built from stuff you already happen to have kicking around. It completely defeats the object if you start spending real money on the thing, you might as well just go and buy another bike in that case.
I'm cobbling together a 6-speed 700c Raleigh hybrid as a faster alternative to using hack MTB's for slightly longer trips where I don't want to leave a decent bike in a certain pub car park out of sight. I got a complete womens bike that came with two cannibalised mens versions, one of which I later noticed has a nice dent in the top tube. No Reynolds, all just plain 18-23 hi-tensile. I've already given the dented frame a sloppy coat of brush paint, and will use the mechanicals from the women's one, which is too small for me. Job done for a Tenner all-in.. Nice and ratty and virtually worthless..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Exactly so. I threw my Ribble together using an old frame and forks, a set of wheels, an old MTB mech, a 12-32 7 speed cassette and various bits from the spares heap. It's still my go-to bike twelve years later.
I think I bought some chainring bolts and a Gripshifter, but that was about it.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Update
Mates bike is pretty good nick,8 speed flight deck shifters and good frame.pity is a 57 TT :sad:
Frames I picked up are ratty but look sound, the tdf has a gap between the fork and the lower head set bearing,like as if the crown race is stopping it sitting flush or is something missing?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Update
actually got 2 frames for the £10
had some spare time today so had a play , the tdf looks like the BB is welded in and doesnt turn anyway and the the rack mount in the seat stay had a bolt in which sheared off in the frame when i tried to get it out.
second frame is a vanquish frame but looks like someone at some point tried to spray paint it and it had peeled so a bit of sandpaper and t cut has made it half decent, certainly good enough for what i have in mind .

Top Bottom