Building a rat bike BUILT - photos as the end :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well the BBs are well and truly stuck, been soaking in cola for 36 hours and still rock solid

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Well the BBs are well and truly stuck, been soaking in cola for 36 hours and still rock solid

Try fire - use a blow torch to heat the BB axle, keeping the flame well away from the paint, then when its nice and hot spray water, lube etc to rapidly cool it . This may crack the corrosion between the BB shell and BB itself. We do this on low end bikes where I volunteer and it works often enough to be a viable strategy

I wouldn't like to do this on anything nice though,.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

dont forget , we need pics
IMG_20180921_184703834.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Doesn't look very ratty to me! The decals are still on and the paint looks half decent (although it isn't my cup of tea). I thought the whole idea was to make it look scruffy enough that no bike thief would go near it? In my manor, that would quickly get nicked.
Patience and hydrocarbon solvents is the name of the game when it comes to freeing seized parts. If I need to leave something soaking submerged in solvent I tend to use diesel, sometimes mixed with ATF transmission oil if I've got any to hand. I've got pistons out of old engines that have been stored in damp conditions for years using that mixture. I've left stuff soaking or kept reapplying more solvent for weeks in some cases, but eventually it always comes unstuck.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Doesn't look very ratty to me! The decals are still on and the paint looks half decent (although it isn't my cup of tea). I thought the whole idea was to make it look scruffy enough that no bike thief would go near it? In my manor, that would quickly get nicked.
Patience and hydrocarbon solvents is the name of the game when it comes to freeing seized parts. If I need to leave something soaking submerged in solvent I tend to use diesel, sometimes mixed with ATF transmission oil if I've got any to hand. I've got pistons out of old engines that have been stored in damp conditions for years using that mixture. I've left stuff soaking or kept reapplying more solvent for weeks in some cases, but eventually it always comes unstuck.
what it looked like before a bit of car touch up paint and t cut ....
41474430_10155494248071143_5166576770660433920_n.jpg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

parts are being sourced from this ( stock photo to show model ) which is 2 sizes too big for me otherwise TBH i wouldn't have bothered with all the effort
given to me for free by mate
$_86.jpg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Took it to local halfords as i know the mechanic is a good un , £10 to get the old one out .Worth it to me to save much cussing and he did say he used a big lever to get it out , they do have a desk mounted vice/ workstand though whereas my lidl stand want holding it tight enough as i was applying leverage and beding my tools and broke the little steadying rod thing with torque i was putting through the frame.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

IMG_20180922_190948586.jpg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Latest update
mavic cxp 22s off the boardman as the wheels i was given the hubs were disintegrating and yesterday upgraded to claris shifters i got cheap on fleabay

Top Bottom