Building muscle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Whats good for building muscle, since i got into road cycling and doing a few miles, i have lost a bit to much weight, i eat regulary a bit of a mixed diet, but plenty of it, does anyone use anything like whey protein or anything else, and does it work, always been on the slim buid side, no medical probs, just find it hard to put on weight.
Cheers Del.

col

Legendary Member
Knock the protien into you, chicken , tuna , even Whey protein drinks. depends what you want there are loads of ways to build up. Just depends how much?

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
peanut butter on everything works for me, with lots of chicken and little bread/spuds.
I hate sticking to specific diets, its the snacking that kills me, but microwave popcorn is okay for me

poynedexter

if you are training you must feed those muscles. i buy a protein powder from asda or tesco by msn? and eat chicken like its going out of fashion too.

watch out for gas tho on these drinks :whistle:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
ON Gold standard whey (dbl rich choc flavour is yummy), with 250ml skimmed milk :thumbsup:

Foods: chicken breast, tuna, salmon, greek yogurt, eggs, steak (not all on 1 plate) :hungry:

Wades

Holland and Barrett are often good for offers on whey protein. I think they have their 'buy one, get one for a penny sale' on at the moment.

When I was doing a lot of weight training I found it really helped recovery and mass building. That and countless tins of tuna!

mattobrien

Guru
A problem I wish I had. Far too easy to put on weight, far too hard to lose it!

Aiming for around half a stone this year, just need to ramp up the distance and frequency.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A problem I wish I had. Far too easy to put on weight, far too hard to lose it!

Aiming for around half a stone this year, just need to ramp up the distance and frequency.
Putting in the miles is the way to go, 50 mile weekend ride have been doing 20 miles on the rollers most nights, looking forward to the lighter evenings and getting the miles in on the road again.

Have a look at the website run by Ben Greenfield. A fantastic resource for nutrition and supplement advise. He also have a vast library of podcasts on iTunes. He will really change you view of how you eat and take supplements to support your training. He is also a competitive tri athlete and has written a number of books.

All protein powders are not the same and watch out for all the additives and the nasty sweeteners.

I am now dumping my last supplies of S I S powder after I found it had got aspartame in it.

I'm on the last of mine too.

decided to make my own energy drinks,

1part whey protein isolate, 1part powdered oats, 1part Dextrose, 2 parts Maltodextrin, pinch of salt.

Then a Protein shake when I finish.

Buying all the seperate ingredients works out much cheaper as well.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sorry, but why would anyone want to put weight on when riding a bike? The lighter you are the better for the uphill bits! More importnat is power/weight ratio, and it takes more power to push 65kg uphill than 60kg. A proper diet combined with decent rides will get your body to a weight it is happy at - unless you decide to start racing properly then the real weight loss starts.
Supplements are OK but be very careful, muscle mass is not an indicator of power output.
As an example, I was (in old money) 9st 7 lbs at my best, and normal body weight for me would have been around 10-6. When a little weight went on, then the performance went down, as I had gained 4lbs of muscle weight (there was hardly any fat!) but the power had not increased enough to move the weight at the same rate (those climbs again). When the weight went back down, performance improved.
You don't look powerful (in truth, thin!) but you are.

col

Legendary Member
ON Gold standard whey (dbl rich choc flavour is yummy), with 250ml skimmed milk :thumbsup:

Foods: chicken breast, tuna, salmon, greek yogurt, eggs, steak (not all on 1 plate) :hungry:
Why not? :hungry:

Holland and Barrett are often good for offers on whey protein. I think they have their 'buy one, get one for a penny sale' on at the moment.

When I was doing a lot of weight training I found it really helped recovery and mass building. That and countless tins of tuna!
Where I am its the double size for 60 quid thats on this offer.

Top Bottom