Bullet Cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New to me... I've been looking for an all in one bullet cam, and in HD bonus.

Dubious about the sensor chip though in such a small form factor. Afterall just because its HD... doesn't mean its better quality (it could just be upscaled after all).

It says "standard" .avi files but doesn't mention the codec in use = not helpful.

63 deg - not brilliant but not surprised in this size.

I'm looking at their sample I can make some number plates out but not others - this is how I gauge quality "can I see number plates", and this is half there. Look at the last few seconds when the camera pans... makes my eyes go funny (might not be good on a helmet).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ56YFIjKPM

Best off waiting until you see some more samples.

What you need to do is find the actual model name of this camera (dogcam bullet is just their name, like the Mini DVR is just the Angel Eye).

I will be keeping a close eye on this one...

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I was interested in it because it's sub-£100, but I wonder do you have to spend silly money (some of them are £400 or more) to get a good quality one that will record number plates and sound clearly and do well in low-light?

That one can be had for £10 from ebay - it's the equivalent of the cheapo muvi in a slightly better form factor, although I have seen the housing and its super cheap plastic crap. It is a good cheap choice though.

I was interested in it because it's sub-£100, but I wonder do you have to spend silly money (some of them are £400 or more) to get a good quality one that will record number plates and sound clearly and do well in low-light?

Actually to do well in low light you need to spend thousands or drop the idea of HD entirely (specially with LED lighting).

There is a reason the VIO1.5 etc that aren't HD etc are £500+

Need a sample video mounted on a bike helmet really to see how it copes with the movement - current sample I don't really see much difference between 480 and 720 (would also be nice to see a raw sample without youtube re-encoding).

I notice there is a new HD "bullet" cam on their site too HDS 720p Bullet Camera

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/HDS-720p-bullet-camera.html

Looks not much bigger - £230 though so bigger budget, on price range with the 720p contourHD, though no 60fps option (at the lower res) and silly internal memory. Also has a wide angle lens which you dont get on the 100 quid unit.

Both fully water proof though which is handy of course.

dogcam

Hi All,

Actually...there was a small mistake on our site.
The files it makes are .MOV files and it uses the AVC codec for encoding video.

What you have to remember about this camera is that is is extremely small and although the resolution it 720p, it won't match the more expensive 720p cameras. But then.... considering the size and the price....it's doing quite well.

DrSquirrel is spot on though, if you want to film at night or in low light then there really isn't a HD solution that can match the cheaper CCD cameras. The POV.1.5 is not HD but it still uses the CMOS sensor so that also does not do incredibly well in low light.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

And.... whilst i'm here....the forum code cyclechat001 expired last week. I've reinstated it for another 12 months and upgraded it to 10%

Cheers.

Mark

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought it did a pretty good job on that demo video.

Any chance of adding an external mic socket to the product Mark? I think the video from the camera would be okay for the kind of things I'd like to do, but I don't think the sound from the internal mic would be.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Have actually been tempted to buy one myself, though I'm aware of the limitations (might have to wait until new years though). It wont be for the bike though, but a bird house. :smile:

dogcam

There will be a Bullet HD 2 coming in the early new year which might be more what you are looking for but I can't say too much
whistling.gif

For an external mic input...., I think these little bullets are just too small to even put the ports on them!

There will be a Bullet HD 2 coming in the early new year which might be more what you are looking for but I can't say too much
whistling.gif

For an external mic input...., I think these little bullets are just too small to even put the ports on them!

Arse...

Are we looking at something in the same price range, rev2? Or a higher version at a bit of a premium?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I dare say waterproofness would then be a problem :wacko:

Yes, I suppose so.

I'm probably going to go for a Kodak Zi8 which does have a mic input, but it would have been nice to have something more bike-friendly like the bullet cam. Most of my videos will be done off the bike though and sound quality will be important.

Top Bottom