Bus complaint letter and response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would suggest making a request using the correct legislation.

A local bus company is not subject to FOI legislation. Even if it were, an FOI request would not get the video evidence.

Try making a subject access request under the Data Protection legislation

They would only need to supply information stored about an individual. So wouldn't have to provide the video then either.

Drago

Legendary Member
Which one of our esteemed members is it that uses this tactic?

They contact the company to complain. The driver then fibs and tells his bosses he did nothing wrong. When the company contacts them back our hero then triumphantly produces the video to show the driver is a bulls*****r, and which then puts the company in an embarrassing position.

More than one driver lost his job that way. Cracking tactic.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Which one of our esteemed members is it that uses this tactic?

They contact the company to complain. The driver then fibs and tells his bosses he did nothing wrong. When the company contacts them back our hero then triumphantly produces the video to show the driver is a bulls*****r, and which then puts the company in an embarrassing position.

More than one driver lost his job that way. Cracking tactic.

That'll be @Cunobelin , post #22. Great stuff.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
They would only need to supply information stored about an individual. So wouldn't have to provide the video then either.

That's not right, information about an individual includes that person's image. See https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

"You have the right to see CCTV images of you and to ask for a copy of them. The organisation must provide them within 40 calendar days of your request, and you may be asked to pay a fee of up to £10 (this is the maximum charge, set by Parliament). This is called a Subject Access Request. You will need to provide details to help the operator to establish your identity as the person in the pictures, and to help them find the images on their system."

Drago

Legendary Member
Cuno win's todays Chuckle of the Day award...

fun-trophies-6286D3.jpg

spen666

Legendary Member
Think you are mistaken about what data is and what is covered by Data Protection Act.

Requests under the Data Protection Act are how people get hold of for example CCTV footage of incidents from police or councils where they are the person on the footage

You could do worse than read what the Information Commissioner's Office have to say on the matter.
...The Data Protection Act gives you the right to see information held about you, including CCTV images of you...

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

Still nice try at giving legal advice Phil. Don't let the fact that you haven't got a clue about the law and are 100% wrong put you off

Last edited:
Think you are mistaken about what data is and what is covered by Data Protection Act.

Requests under the Data Protection Act are how people get hold of for example CCTV footage of incidents from police or councils where they are the person on the footage

You could do worse than read what the Information Commissioner's Office have to say on the matter.

Still nice try at giving legal advice Phil. Don't let the fact that you haven't got a clue about the law and are 100% wrong put you off

I thought that there was a "get out clause"

If there are others on the video than you could refuse onto grounds that you were breaching the confidentiality of others....

https://www.out-law.com/en/topics/t...ivacy/how-to-satisfy-subject-access-requests/

See section about manual files.
If it's not stored in a structured set it's not covered by the act.

I may have misinterpreted that but I'd consider rolling CCTV footage that is not stored in any particular manner with reference to any person that it is not covered by act.

Btw, whether I am right or wrong I am happy to be corrected, but there's no need to be so aggressive just to try and prove a point. I have linked to the information that forms my opinion of CCTV footage when not stored in relation to the individual. If that's wrong, please do correct me so that I know where my interpretation is incorrect. But the last paragraph of your post is quite unnecessary, the rest of it is civil I don't understand the purpose of the attack?

That's not right, information about an individual includes that person's image. See https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

"You have the right to see CCTV images of you and to ask for a copy of them. The organisation must provide them within 40 calendar days of your request, and you may be asked to pay a fee of up to £10 (this is the maximum charge, set by Parliament). This is called a Subject Access Request. You will need to provide details to help the operator to establish your identity as the person in the pictures, and to help them find the images on their system."
See my other post. I thought this only applied if it was stored in an organised manner, as non organised information wasn't covered by the act. But I may have mis understood the wording.

spen666

Legendary Member
https://www.out-law.com/en/topics/t...ivacy/how-to-satisfy-subject-access-requests/

See section about manual files.
If it's not stored in a structured set it's not covered by the act.

I may have misinterpreted that but I'd consider rolling CCTV footage that is not stored in any particular manner with reference to any person that it is not covered by act.

Btw, whether I am right or wrong I am happy to be corrected, but there's no need to be so aggressive just to try and prove a point. I have linked to the information that forms my opinion of CCTV footage when not stored in relation to the individual. If that's wrong, please do correct me so that I know where my interpretation is incorrect. But the last paragraph of your post is quite unnecessary, the rest of it is civil I don't understand the purpose of the attack?

A video or CCTV is not a manual file

glasgowcyclist

See my other post. I thought this only applied if it was stored in an organised manner, as non organised information wasn't covered by the act. But I may have mis understood the wording.

I think you've focussed on a piece of the article which is concerned with how manual files are to be handled:

"The manual files which are caught by the Act are those which pass the two tests set out in the definition of a relevant filing system."

and extended this, mistakenly, to cover all files such as CCTV footage (non-manual).

glasgowcyclist

I agree wholeheartedly with your view here.

Treewisemonkey

From what I've seen over the past 20 years is a steady decline in the standard of London bus drivers. That's very polite isn't it.
The near misses, speeding, poor lane discipline, and as for signaling, ha, don't make me laugh.
I do believe that they are trained but as soon as they've passed their test it all goes out of the window.
Cycling in London, you see it every single day.
Rant over, happy cycling. :boxing:

Top Bottom