Bus driver fired.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

A few weeks ago I reported a bus driver who was negotiating a narrow road with cars parked, and with a mobile phone clamped to his ear. I was amazed to see it nowadays by a so called professional driver. It would seem the driver has been fired. I can't believe this would be solely on my report, which was not corroborated by video or anything, so possibly others complained as well. Despite what the email said I was not on the bus, but driving towards it. I had actually stopped to allow the bus to get round a parked car.

I have pasted the emails I received which show it is sometimes worth reporting really flagrant breaches.

Sent: 12 October 2010 12:29
To: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Centrebus, Stansted Mountfichet.

Dear xxxxxxxxxx

Re: Centrebus, Stansted Mountfichet.

Thank you for the complaint form you sent, which has been forwarded to us from Hertfordshire County Council.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken seriously and are now being investigated. We are very grateful to you for bringing these matters to our attention and we are sorry that you have been experiencing problems with this service.

Regards,

Pam

Contract Management Officer

Passenger Transport Co-ordination Centre

Essex County Council | Telephone: 0845 603 2200

Extension: 51747 | Email: pam.shead@essex.gov.uk

EssexWorks

For a better quality of life

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Dear xxxxxxxx

Re: Centrebus, Stansted Mountfichet.

We have investigated the complaint regarding the driver’s behaviour of a Centrebus on 08/10/10. Following the investigation and an interview with the driver, Centrebus have informed us that the driver concerned has been dismissed from Centrebus employment.

We are sorry that you have had cause to complain regarding this service and we would thank you for taking the time to advise us of this incident.

Regards,

Pam Shead

Contract Management Officer

Passenger Transport Co-ordination Centre

Essex County Council | Telephone: 01245 437747

Extension: 51747 | Email: pam.shead@essex.gov.uk

EssexWorks

For a better quality of life

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

It would seem the driver has been fired. I can't believe this would be solely on my report, which was not corroborated by video or anything, so possibly others complained as well.

Perhaps there was video running on the bus itself?

Good result.

Crankarm

Guru
So now he will be just a passenger ............ :laugh: . Great result. The passengers on that route will no doubt breath a sigh of relief.

I have seen sooooo many motons driving with phones glued to their ears today. 3 young women in small cars, all within 10 mintues of each other, oblivious to the road and those around them - texting away, not driving slowly either :ohmy: .I felt sure one silly bint was going to crash as she was looking down for must have been at least 5-6 seconds without looking up. I hope they get flattened by a fully laden 44 tonner or crash into something hard and immovable without involving anyone else removing themselves from the planet permanently. I see alot of Asian van and taxi drivers driving and dialing. Controversial I know, but I do. Perhaps they have a more don't give a sh1t attitude.

But also quite a few cyclists cycling and dialling as well - students.

Davidc

Guru
Excellent result chillyuk. I don't take pleasure from the guy loosing his job even if it was his own silly fault, but when word gets round the depot it should deter the others.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
So now he will be just a passenger ............ :laugh: . Great result. The passengers on that route will no doubt breath a sigh of relief.

I have seen sooooo many motons driving with phones glued to their ears today. 3 young women in small cars, all within 10 mintues of each other, oblivious to the road and those around them - texting away, not driving slowly either :ohmy: .I felt sure one silly bint was going to crash as she was looking down for must have been at least 5-6 seconds without looking up. I hope they get flattened by a fully laden 44 tonner or crash into something hard and immovable without involving anyone else removing themselves from the planet permanently. I see alot of Asian van and taxi drivers driving and dialing. Controversial I know, but I do. Perhaps they have a more don't give a sh1t attitude.

But also quite a few cyclists cycling and dialling as well - students.

That's not very nice. There's a fair few people I don't like but I'd not wish that on them.

I have seen sooooo many motons driving with phones glued to their ears today. 3 young women in small cars, all within 10 mintues of each other, oblivious to the road and those around them - texting away, not driving slowly either

Well, slowing down at a junction in primary, approaching a red light, but one where there a motorised vehicle would make significant progress from as opposed to one pedal-poweered, I slowed down and let a Combo-type van out from a side road just before. No rush and he'd be away quicker, with no need to overtake me, and it would make less than a second difference to my journey.

Things like that I find make a journey so much more amicable......

Indeed, the driver appreciated my letting him go first so much that he raised his (normal, household, no- 'non-spill-cap' even) coffee mug in a "cheers" gesture :ohmy:

Crankarm

Guru
That's not very nice. There's a fair few people I don't like but I'd not wish that on them.

It's not meant to be nice. Neither is it a question of like or dislike. These people are at best menaces, vermin; at worst killers at the wheel or not at the wheel as they are concentrating on their phone conversations or looking down texting while they drive.

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 1228555"]
I think all buses have cameras in the cab these days, and an increasing number around the outside of the bus.
[/quote]

Wasn't there an instance of a bus driver using his mobile whilst driving the bus which was filmed by 5 or 6 of the passengers. He couldn't have been contentrating as surely had he looked in the central mirror down the bus he would have seen most of the passengers filming him using their mobiles. Ooooh ............ the irony :laugh: !

That's certainly a result. I wouldn't say 'good' result as it is never nice to hear of someone loosing their job. However, it was their own fault and certainly the best result for other road users.

What's interesting is that they have told you that the driver has been fired. I thought they weren't supposed to tell you what happens to the driver due to confidentiality etc?

Origamist

Legendary Member
It might seem harsh to some, but Centrebus may have an instant dismissal policy with regard to mobile use, or a two strikes and you're out policy - all drivers would be aware of this. It could also be that this driver has a poor disciplinary record and this was just the latest infraction.

It might seem harsh to some, but Centrebus may have an instant dismissal policy with regard to mobile use, or a two strikes and you're out policy - all drivers would be aware of this. It could also be that this driver has a poor disciplinary record and this was just the latest infraction.

I'm not saying it's harsh, just that I never celebrate over someone loosing a job. It is likely to affect the drivers family as much as the driver. However, that doesn't mean it isn't deserved or in everyones best interest.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm not saying it's harsh, just that I never celebrate over someone loosing a job. It is likely to affect the drivers family as much as the driver. However, that doesn't mean it isn't deserved or in everyones best interest.

I wasn't referring to you. It was a more general point as a significant minority do not consider using a mobile phone whilst driving particularly hazardous.

Top Bottom