Bus Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Magnatom's camera thread has just reminded me about my other bus driver incident (and how I wish I'd have had a camera).
I was cycling down the A55, and there was a bus driver was wanting to join from a sideroad (it wasn't a proper sliproad) onto the carrriageway. Thankfully there was nothing behind me so I moved into primary position as if he'd have pulled out I'd have had to brake hard or he'd have side swiped me (I was averaging 25 mph on this stretch) so wanted to make myself more visable to him, and I was nearly halfway past the "sliproad".
Anyway, he did give way to me begrudgingly. After he had joined on to the A55 he pulled up alongside me, opened his doors and said something like "You shouldn't be on this side of the white lines". I shouted back that "Yes I should, it's illegal to cycle the other side of the lines", he shouted something back which I couldn't hear properly, I think it was something along the lines of "If you say so" before driving off.

He was referring to the solid white line that runs along the side of the carriage way, like you get on motorways, where the gap is maybe a foot if that and is usually full of debris. Now I don't know whether he thought it was a cycle path or something - but even if I did decide to cycle on it, one stretch of the A55 (towards Abergwyngregyn) is part of the old road and this foot of road disappears and I'd have to hit the curb and end up on the grass verge, or veer back onto the main road in front of oncoming vehicles. Plus when you reach slip roads they disappear and the road he was joining from had this concrete triangle thing in the way, so I'd have had to cycle past him "on the wrong side of the white" line anyway as there was none at that point!

Anyway, I hope I haven't lost you all in my rambling explanation. What is the score with these "hard shoulders" on dual carriageways - was I correct in saying it was illegal for me to cycle in it? I wish I'd have had more of a comeback to him and been able to spount some bit of the highway code / traffic legislation at him. I mean I can sometimes do 30+ mph if the wind is in my favour on that stretch, that's pretty much the average speed of a tractor - would he be telling a tractor to drive on that part of the road?!

I suspect he was more pissed at having to slow & give way to a cyclist more than anything. I wonder if this is the same bus driver that tried to turn right onto the main road I was cycling on but had to do an emergency stop to avoid squashing me (I was already on the main road indicating to turn right down the road he was waiting at, fairly similar to Magnatom's incident with the lady driver on one of his Videos). I'm convinced I saw him pass me this morning in the bus going through the next village down from mine.

domtyler

Über Member
You shouldn't engage with people like this, just slow down and let him disappear.

Don't ever expect a rational or reasonable person to try to talk to you on the roads.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Unless there is a sign saying no cycling or it is a motorway, you are perfectly entitled to use the road just the shame as everyone else. It is a same these so called "professional drivers" have such a poor knowledge of the Highway Code.

This morning I saw a bus driver trying to tell two horse riders that horses shouldn't be on the road. Not very clever as both riders where wearing Hi-Viz jackets with Police written in big letters across them. ;)

Busses are invincible if you are on a cycle, you just bounce off or get squished, I think the vehicle becomes an extension of the drivers ego, the bigger the vehicle the bigger and more dangerous the ego, that video of the bus sweeping around a corner and almost squishing a cyclist on you tube is just plain scary.

PBancroft

Hairy Jock said:
This morning I saw a bus driver trying to tell two horse riders that horses shouldn't be on the road. Not very clever as both riders where wearing Hi-Viz jackets with Police written in big letters across them. ;)

That's fantastic! I hope he had that wonderful "Oh, shi..." feeling when it dawned on him that not only was he wrong and had made an idiot of himself, but that he had also done it to quite possibly the worst (or rather best) people he could.

As others have said, you have every right to be there. By opening his door and talking to you, whilst driving, he was driving dangerously and you would have every right to report him for that.

By the way, I am considering starting a new helmet camera selling business with Magnatom branded cameras. Of course I need a snappy slogan to sell the business and the cameras. Any suggestions? ;)

hackbike 6

domtyler said:
Pedalling faster? ;)

Hmmmm yeah easy in first gear.:biggrin:

magnatom said:
As others have said, you have every right to be there. By opening his door and talking to you, whilst driving, he was driving dangerously and you would have every right to report him for that.

By the way, I am considering starting a new helmet camera selling business with Magnatom branded cameras. Of course I need a snappy slogan to sell the business and the cameras. Any suggestions? ;)

Don't get slappy, get snappy.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
hackbike 6 said:
True and how did you get to 25mph?What's the secret?

It's a really nicely tarmaced (sp?) road and relatively flat. In fact I'd say ever so slightly downhill in places (you wouldn't call it downhill if you follow me, it's just flat but has a tincy wincy downward gradient to it that you wouldn't notice in a car). So if it is a nice day i.e. no bad headwind, and you get a good cadence going in the highest gear, you're off! If you have the wind behind you it's even better. You can only do it for a couple of miles then the surface changes as they used part of the old road so I find that it slows you down somewhat.

I must say I am disappointed with bus drivers when I'm cycling, they are the only other road users I've had any potentially serious life changing moments with. With car drivers it has mainly just been close passes and only a few of them have evoked any *%£! from me when they really have past far too close.

hackbike 6

I notice these people passing me at some speed dressed in all the bo55ox and with a bike as light as a feather.A work mate has got the cycling bug and invested in a bike worth £2500.No wonder he's faster than me.

Or it could be old age.

I have too much junk on my bike anyway....well it is used mainly for commuting.

jmaccyd

A solid white line on the left hand side of a road can just mark the edge of the carriageway if there is no pavement. A 'cycle' lane will have additional signage to show that - I think?

jmaccyd said:
A solid white line on the left hand side of a road can just mark the edge of the carriageway if there is no pavement. A 'cycle' lane will have additional signage to show that - I think?

You can tell if it is a cycle lane, as if so it will be covered in broken glass and dog turds and have nettles overgrowing it, otherwise is is just the edge of the carriageway.;)

Furthermore – there is absolutely no compulsion to be “in” the cycle lane even if one is present. Some “professional” drivers really should know better.

Top Bottom