But I'm turning right.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I haven't had a motorist be unnecessarily rude for some time so I was mentally unprepared for the woman this morning.

I was going about 18mph on a 200 yard stretch that connects two main roads. I was planning to turn right at the upcoming T-junction and, as I've been trapped in the left-turn lane before I stayed on the right.

When waiting in the traffic queue in the right-had turn lane the driver that had been behind me pulled up, rolled down her window and berated me aggressively for cycling in the middle of the road.

I'm ashamed to say I lost my composure and informed her that, actually, it was my legal right to cycle wherever I f***ing well pleased when on the road. She had time to say, 'No you can't' before I was able to pedal away (she was turning left).

It was just so unnecessary, and I hadn't actually held her up as she was forced to queue in traffic anyway. Why be so rude? I was quite angry but I was also upset as there was no need to shout at me in the street when I was cycling within the law. ;)

I didn't have time to get her license plate but could I have reported her for harrassment?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
WW - this happens a lot, have had a motocyclist come up behind me when I was cycling on the right and berate me for holding up the traffic even though I was going to turn right. People can't seem to compute that you're planning ahead. It's just the mentality that you should be cycling right in the gutter.

She was clearly a moron

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Hehe must be the day for it. I had a car pull out on me. It was more discurtious than anything as it was easily avoided. I had just mumbled the word "blind" as well. The passenger saw fit to wind down his window and point out that there was 5 meters between us as I was alongside them. I retorted with you must have a huge........ ;)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Wheeledweenie said:
I know, I just wish I didn't find it so upsetting at the time!

It's only natural if someone is being unreasonable. Clearly not the thinking kind of person!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HaloJ said:
Hehe must be the day for it. I had a car pull out on me. It was more discurtious than anything as it was easily avoided. I had just mumbled the word "blind" as well. The passenger saw fit to wind down his window and point out that there was 5 meters between us as I was alongside them. I retorted with you must have a huge........ :ohmy:

:biggrin: good retort!

A friend of mine was screamed at on a ride a week or so ago (for taking primary in a pinch point). He told me all he could think to say was..."luv, you really need a breath-mint"

I may adopt this as my universal responce

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
:ohmy: good retort!

A friend of mine was screamed at on a ride a week or so ago (for taking primary in a pinch point). He told me all he could think to say was..."luv, you really need a breath-mint"

I may adopt this as my universal responce

I like it, perhaps a tube of Polos in a jersey picket to offer as you say it....

Wheeledweenie said:
I like it, perhaps a tube of Polos in a jersey picket to offer as you say it....

I think you got it about right with this:

I'm ashamed to say I lost my composure and informed her that, actually, it was my legal right to cycle wherever I f***ing well pleased when on the road. She had time to say, 'No you can't' before I was able to pedal away (she was turning left).

Don't let it bother you. You can't do right by people like that whatever you're driving or riding.

Crankarm

Guru
ttcycle said:
WW - this happens a lot, have had a motocyclist come up behind me when I was cycling on the right and berate me for holding up the traffic even though I was going to turn right. People can't seem to compute that you're planning ahead. It's just the mentality that you should be cycling right in the gutter.

She was clearly a moron

Moton

;)

thanos

im in the midst of considering a bike upgrade (been using paths on my local commute), and not having driven a car in the past couple of years (I was your standard car driver in the us), Im a bit freaked out as to whether I ll be able to handle being on the road with a bike, make proper progress so I dont slow down car drivers and in general making a full of myself. This is also affecting my decision on a bike upgrade (e.g. a boardman hybrid comp vs say something tamer and standardized and slower like a specialized sirrus or trek 7.2).

What was your experience with getting accustomed / dealing with road cycling mannerisms / etiquette etc? Should all bike riders be actually licensed car drivers? I am slowly reading through the driving test theory books, and was hoping that exposure on the local roads would ease the stress of driving in the uk..

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Thanos, welcome!

the easiest way to do it I suppose is if you're unfamiliar with UK roads to maybe try and see if there are cyclists in your area who you can do some small rides with to get a feel for things - you're probably more dilligent than a lot out there - try Cyclecraft- it's cycle specific book on best practice and will give you some good pointers to start with.

Where are you based - there may be someone local to you that you can ride with
PS you may do everything right but still have incidents or shouts of abuse- remember that as it's not always your fault-sometimes maybe but not always!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Thanos, there's a good chance your local council will offer free or subsidised cycling lessons. TBH I'd pay for some myself in your situation. I realise of course that you're already an experienced road user, but I reckon that would bring a lot of benefit to you. You'll get specifics of what is right and wrong practice in the UK, and the comfort of having an experienced instructor with you.

thanos

i appreciate the suggestions, ill take a look at the book mentioned, and will enquire with the local council on the matter at some point.

I currently reside in Hertfordshire (20 or so miles north of London), which makes for a relatively relaxed commute to work and shopping, but then again lots of car commuters (people trying to get to work and get back home through busy highways which makes them very impatient - long queues in the mornings and afternoons). I have however noticed the speed and confidence with which certain cyclists, on road bikes, handle the situations which is somewhat inspiring.

Needless to say ill take it slow, and look for resources like books that recommend what lines to take, how to behave when cars queue up to turn etc..

Top Bottom