Butchering a Brooks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont need them. I use a Bridge Street bag ^_^

http://bridgestreet.cc/products/

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Even in the early 1960s bag loops were considered uncool by some - I had a B17 Professional on my Ted Gerrard - no bag loops, big copper rivets. I remember cycling down from Birmingham to Worthing on the south coast, to meet the rest of the family, who'd gone by train - two days, overnight stop at the YHA in Streetly and Goring (?), carrying all my needs in a musette sewn together for me by my mum. Cool racing men didn't use saddlebags in those days - certainly not!
I refer you to Rule #29 :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
a Godwin's law for Velominati?
I think, even in long Cycle Chat threads, 'Rules#' are rarely quoted.
By all means know the Rules, but don't quote them 'at' others.
Exception: Perhaps those who can recall and number at least 50 rules from memory might be allowed the odd quote, to demonstrate their deep learning, but only if they've done 50+km that day or butchered a perfectly good saddle that hasn't done anything to deserve it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Remove the bag loops with a hacksaw.
The bag-loopist controversy probably needs a whole new thread.
I asked:"Who says it's controversial?" No [edit: substantive] answer.
Before asking why bag loops/removal were 'controversial, as you suggested the issue was, I searched for "loops" on CycleChat, to find that the last reference to (bag) "loops" was over 3 years ago, and that was an OP disappointed his saddle had come without them. You are in a minority of one suggesting bag loops are 'controversial'. Buying a saddle with them and then removing them is just esoteric (and not in a good way) imo.
List of banned topics:
Bag loops
For the reasons above (no discussion in 3 years) banning discussion of bag loops will have no adverse effect on "the intellectually stimulating place it currently is":laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
I asked:"Who says it's controversial?" No [edit: substantive] answer.
Before asking why bag loops/removal were 'controversial, as you suggested the issue was, I searched for "loops" on CycleChat, to find that the last reference to (bag) "loops" was over 3 years ago, and that was an OP disappointed his saddle had come without them. You are in a minority of one suggesting bag loops are 'controversial'. Buying a saddle with them and then removing them is just esoteric (and not in a good way) imo.

For the reasons above (no discussion in 3 years) banning discussion of bag loops will have no adverse effect on "the intellectually stimulating place it currently is":laugh:
I refuse to recant. At the apocalypse when the final bunch sprint crosses the line all you pro-bag loopists will be proved wrong, and we... er this anti-bag loopist will alone inherit the golden bicycle of truth and enter the winner's enclosure unencumbered by the earthly trappings of 'Carradice bags'. You'll see!

Levo-Lon

Guru
And that's the 'cheap' Swallow without the stitching on the bottom edge,,

View attachment 392098

Like my 'posh' one has (2004 Ltd Edition Titanium)

View attachment 392097

EDIT - OMG the picture of the standard one is a link to @velovoice 's blog, I'm not stalking you, honest.

I adore a nice Brogue and that looks classy

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Even in the early 1960s bag loops were considered uncool by some - I had a B17 Professional on my Ted Gerrard - no bag loops, big copper rivets. I remember cycling down from Birmingham to Worthing on the south coast, to meet the rest of the family, who'd gone by train - two days, overnight stop at the YHA in Streetly and Goring (?), carrying all my needs in a musette sewn together for me by my mum. Cool racing men didn't use saddlebags in those days - certainly not!
Didn't you toestrap your musette to the crossbar? Was that only in the Heart of England?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Didn't you toestrap your musette to the crossbar? Was that only in the Heart of England?
That would have been seriously uncool - anyway I think it was too full for that. It was bigger than a standard musette and my mum improved on the usual design by adding a long waist tie that prevented the bag sliding around.

Top Bottom