Buying a bike on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

armyash

Hi everyone!
wave.gif

I'm new to the forum and was after some advice i have about 200-300 quid to spend on a bike to get to and from work (20miles a day) and also to go on long rides for fitness.

What sort of bike should i get? racer style or normal mountain bike style? it's 95% tarmac route Any recommendations on where to shop? I'm in Kent if that helps.

Also i'm 5ft 8/9ish what size bike would i require?

Any help appreciated or if you need more info before giving advice i'll try my best to fill you in.

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon do a good range of flat and dropped bar bikes £300 and under - nearest to you probably at Lakeside

Otherwise, Halfords (although the staff are often clueless) ...or second hand (checking it's not nicked)

Size wise, probably a Medium / 19-20" frame or a 53-55cm...depends on the bike, impossible to say for sure, all manufacturers are different pretty much!

Probably drop bars or a flat barred hybrid - do not get one with suspension or knobbly tyres - if wanting to do distances a drop barred bike is the usual choice but depends on your preference

I'd start off looking at this http://www.decathlon...id_8167038.html or this http://www.decathlon...id_8188895.html

You'll probably want mudguards for the winter, lights, clothing etc...probably budget another £100-150 for extras

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello :welcome:

Re a bike, it depends on what the other 5% of your ride is, but if it is passable on a roadbike then I would tend to go for one of those it will eat the miles compared to a mountain bike. You could also consider a hybrid that is a bit of a compromise between a road bike and a mountain bike. At your price point Decathlon do an entry level road bike here and Halfords do good Carrera road bikes at asimilar cost. If you can get to a store try the bike to get the right fit. If you are commuting in all weathers check that the bike you buy will take some sort of mudguard even if they are clip ons it will make a wet ride much more comfortable.

OP
OP
A

armyash

Brilliant replies! Thanks very much for the information i'll check out everything mentioned so far and will become a regular on here and will let you know what i decide to get.

biggrin.gif

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I was in simalar boat to you a short while ago

didnt want to spend a fortune on my first bike and decided to by a Felt QX65 2011 Hybrid bike for £240

Its now £199 at Rutland Cycles

Great bike and nothing particularly wrong with it but as I was doing all my riding on the road I have bought a Specialized Allez 27 Road bike which is absolutley fantastic ,light,precise and quick,but at £620 its a bit over your budget

Specialized Allez 27 2011 Road Bike

So I would advise if your mainly road then look for a road bike,you'll get some good advice on here for your budget.

Size wise,I'm 5ft 8 1/2 with 32" inside leg (long legs short body :wacko: ) the Felt is a 52cm frame and the Spesh a 54cm frame and they are both fine.

Hope that helps :smile:

OP
OP
A

armyash

The giant defy looks a bargain (judging by my extensive cycling knowledge!) :tongue: if it was local i would snap it up providing size wise it was ok. Thanks again for all the replies I will continue looking

OP
OP
A

armyash

I was in simalar boat to you a short while ago

didnt want to spend a fortune on my first bike and decided to by a Felt QX65 2011 Hybrid bike for £240

Its now £199 at Rutland Cycles

Great bike and nothing particularly wrong with it but as I was doing all my riding on the road I have bought a Specialized Allez 27 Road bike which is absolutley fantastic ,light,precise and quick,but at £620 its a bit over your budget

Specialized Allez 27 2011 Road Bike

So I would advise if your mainly road then look for a road bike,you'll get some good advice on here for your budget.

Size wise,I'm 5ft 8 1/2 with 32" inside leg (long legs short body :wacko: ) the Felt is a 52cm frame and the Spesh a 54cm frame and they are both fine.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks for the info!
thumbsup.png

The felt QX65 looks like a good bet I will try one out. Anything negative you can say about it?

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Thanks for the info!
thumbsup.png

The felt QX65 looks like a good bet I will try one out. Anything negative you can say about it?

Nothing at all bud

Loved the bike,21 speed,EZ Fire shifters,nice looking........

I just had the urge to wear Licra, so I bought the Road bike :laugh:

Top Bottom